Ocellaris Clownfish acting weird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

victor.m

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a new member to the family yesterday, and after acclimating him to water temperature/conditions, I put him in. What I'm finding weird is his behavior; he seems to be swimming vertically near the glass of the aquarium since I put him in. He's not reaching for air at the surface or anything, he just seems to be paddling around vertically near the edges. I figured I'd sleep and see if this stopped in the morning, but I just woke up and he seems to be doing the same thing (hope he stopped to sleep..).

I'm wondering if this might be normal, and maybe he's stressed out from the journey still (~20 min car drive)? My tank is a 14g Biocube and he's sharing the space with a yellowtail damsel. Also have 14lbs of live rock and a medium Zoanthid colony, parameter are:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm
pH: 8.1

Thanks in advance for any help :)

What is the damsel doing? Paying any attention to the clown? While yellowtails are supposed to be the most docile of the damsels, they can still be aggressive. Could it be stressing the clown? I had a couple of damsels that I had to remove from my tank because they were aggressive towards EVERYTHING. Even caught them knocking hermits off rocks and they killed my first peppermint shrimp (whch were almost as large as the damsels).

Anyways, just some thoughts.

What is the damsel doing? Paying any attention to the clown? While yellowtails are supposed to be the most docile of the damsels, they can still be aggressive. Could it be stressing the clown? I had a couple of damsels that I had to remove from my tank because they were aggressive towards EVERYTHING. Even caught them knocking hermits off rocks and they killed my first peppermint shrimp (whch were almost as large as the damsels).

Anyways, just some thoughts.
Thanks for the thoughts, you bring up a good point. I had thought of possible hostility by putting in the Clown with the Damsel; the Damsel, after all, has been alone all this time and had time to become territorial. Right when I put the Clown in the Damsel charged at it once or twice, but I didn't see any real fighting or persistent fighting going on. Going to observe them today and see if I find any indicators of the Damsel stressing out the Clown..

Thank you for your input, more opinions are always welcome :)

He might have just been asleep when you woke up this morning.... When I got my first Clown and Damsel they were swimming vertical but it's normal for them to do that I guess but once they really acclimated to the tank after being acclimated it in ok shape, but when they sleep at night they like to hover around the PH and they also swim in the vertical position in the corner til they wake up... Just give him time he will be ok....:)

He might have just been asleep when you woke up this morning.... When I got my first Clown and Damsel they were swimming vertical but it's normal for them to do that I guess but once they really acclimated to the tank after being acclimated it in ok shape, but when they sleep at night they like to hover around the PH and they also swim in the vertical position in the corner til they wake up... Just give him time he will be ok....:)
Well I just turned the Acinitics on and will be watching the clown and the damsel today, hopefully they're getting along and it's just the damsel being silly/sleeping :p

Update: After some observation it seems as if the Damsel might not even be letting the clown get near the rocks. I've been looking at them and it seems that if the clown tries to move in, the Damsel is quick to charge at it and keep it away. If this continues to be the case I'm gonna have to take the Damsel back :/

Update 2: Here are some pictures to better illustrate where the Clown has been hanging out since last night. Should I give him some time to see if he will acclimate and him and the Damsel will get used to each other or should I start thinking of getting rid of the damsel in favor of a less aggressive fish?

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 107
Keep in mind a clown is a damsel as well, but it sounds like the yellow tail has staked his territory.
Clowns are also clowns, he may like it by the output. Have you fed them yet? If so, did both eat?

They did both eat, I fed them yesterday. The clown is still in the same spot :/

Mine stayed in the top corner of my tank, and would swim around every once in a while.

Well, the Damsel was really picking on the clown so I took the damsel back and got a new guy. Forgot what he's called, but he looks like a nice fellow :) The clown is now swimming around and a lot happier!

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 99
Looks like a royal gramma. Good thing you didn't put him in with the damsel. Before I found this site, I added one to my 55 with 4 damsels....poor guy.
Here is a little reading for you:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Royal Gramma Basslet
Indeed, that would be him :) It would seem like both the Gramma and the Clown are peaceful, so I'm thinking they should get along well and make for a nice peaceful system. But I'd definitely feel for one in a tank with 4 damsels, one damsel in my tank was already causing distress for my Clown :/

The Gramma sure is beautiful though, it's really colorful and very vibrant no doubt :) Very happy with the little guy, he has already found a cave he likes and sat in there to go to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom