Ocellaris Clownfish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

protokix22

Aquarium Advice Regular
So yesterday I went to the LFR and got two ocerllaris clownfish for my first attempt at this saltwater stuff. I made sure it was fully cycled this time (I had a little issue the first time around and lost a couple of damsels). But this time I was patient and made double sure my levels were all proper.

I got a larger one and a smaller one at the recommendation at the retail guy. I knew that clownfish liked to pair-off, and that the male is the smaller one and the larger one is the female (or turn into those sexes?). Now today, the smaller one which I guess is the male does this mini seizure thing.

These seizure things don't last long, and he only does it every now and then. I've seen a few sites which say this is normal mating behavior, so I'm not too worried. Should I be though? Also, I don't have any live rock, but rather a large atificial piece and a few smaller pieces throughout the tank. I'm a poor college kid so wasn't able to spend all the money on LR. The sites and books seem to say this is a precusor to mating. Now like I said, I'm new to this, and while I feel like bredding and hatching would be AWESOME, God knows I don' have the skills, materials to pull something like that off.

Bottom line quesiton, how likely is it that these two do the Boom Boom and leave me with some clownfish eggs to worry about. Or is this seizure just going to lead to pairing, which could possibly (not likely) lead to mating in the future.

Thanks for any advice!

Awesome, well that's good, I was a little worried at first. Do you know if this means they will be making babies anytime soon?

well, if you cant afford to raise the fry it is free food for you clowns until you can get another tank... and raising a batch here and there may help to pay for the hobby-depending on the deal you get for your tank which you can prob find some decent deals on smaller tanks for a small tank. many people run their fry tank with bare bottom and just enough to get by with great success.

Well that's what I was starting to consider. I didn't know if this was something that should be possibly preparing for. To be honest, if this is something that is likely to happen, I would probably try to get a smaller tank and the basics to raise those little guys to see how it turns out. Kind of intriques me.

I just didn't know how likely this would be and what the timeline would be like from here on out... If I needed to start keeping an eye out this weekend for baby nemo eggs somewhere. Haha, again I'm really new at this.

if it does happen dont feel bad if even with great advice you lose a bunch your first attempt, there is a learning curve involved.

Dont worry,I doubt they will lay eggs for some time,if/when they do lay dont rush into anything, the first few batchs dont normally survive anyway.

Back
Top Bottom