Octopus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlynd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can I put an octopus in a 37 galloon tank? If so what species?

Well there are dwarf varieties...but they only live 6 months to a year. They are not just well suited for home aquaria. If you absolutely have to have one, they are available but for expert only. Expert only means you basically need a marine biologist on hand.

I had a friend that had a mimic but he was a marine biologist that worked for a company that supplied to public aquariums.

There's a good forum on octopus keeping,sorry i cant remember its name but if you google it you should find it.

Alright thanks! I'll probably just do clowns

The name is tonmo.com Also, the dwarfs only get 3" so ya, but are extremely difficult to keep. Bige, do u know how long they live?

The name is tonmo.com Also, the dwarfs only get 3" so ya, but are extremely difficult to keep. Bige, do u know how long they live?
Six months to a year. Very good at hiding. My lfs had one in a small tank with only an acro skeleton. Still couldnt find it.

The mimics live for 6 months to a year? OMG!!!!! The only octo I think there is thats worth hiding is the pacific............ But............ theyre huge so u cant have one! LOL!

If you do decide to get an octopus, ensure your tank has a lid.

Even better if it's bolted, nailed, glued, velcro'd, tied and stapled down :)
They do try to escape - even if it means leaving the water.

If you have to ask that question, then i dont think you should consider keeping one anytime soon

We have clowns, a wrasse, an angel, two gobies, and discovered a rogue octopus had come in a rock. It was small and we tried so hard to capture it during the nights because we were afraid it would eat the gobies and it was stressing the clowns. Unfortunately, it died and inked the tank, making the coral and fish sick. We are doing water changes and hoping to save everything. I would not recommend it. They are nocturnal and come out at night.

Back
Top Bottom