Odd 75g stand design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is a follow up to another post I had...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=44853

It's become apparent that all-glass is adamant that the design is correct and my stand is not flawed.
In the process of taking measuments off of the stand so I can put in my own supports I found some new info...
The stand only supports the tank on the 2 sides. The brace in the middle (see the other thread for pics) is actually 1/16" below the tank frame at the front of the tank and 3/32" below at the back.
I hope all of this was clear (again, you'll probably have to see my other thread to know what I'm talking about).
Anyway, my question is, is a 75g safe being supported only on the 2 ends? Apparently all-glass thinks so. Am I just being paranoid by wanting to add more support? With my new revelation it is now going to be quite a bit more work than I had at first thought.
I JUST WANNA ADD THE %$^%((# WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No... even a 10 gallon isn't safe being supported by only 2 sides. It will crack. A 75 gallon tank will weigh more than 600-700 pounds MINIMUM. I would be wary if All-glass thinks that way... asking for HUGE trouble.

Patience... take the tank off the stand and find a way to have a sturdy base where all 4 sides are supported evenly and securely

OK, thanks (although you know that was not the answer I was looking for :wink: )
As for all-glass, you can bet it's the last stand I buy from them.

A question on my "additional" support... I plan to make basicly a "table" inside of this stand. Is it ok for the plywood top to extend beyond the framing members that it rests on (maybe an inch or so)? The top will be the same dimensions as the tank obviously. I'm assuming it is and if thats the case it may not be too bad.
Another question while I'm at it, the base inside the cabinet (where the sump, filter, etc would go) is 1/2" thk plywood. Can I just set my 4 2x4 "table legs" on top of that?

I agree, the more support the better (and you have mine :wink: ). Try going to a LFS that has the same tank/stand in stock and see if it fits the same way. It just does not sound right to me.

As long as the inch is directly supported by at least 2-3 points, it should be fine. 3/4 inch plywood only though... 1/2 will most likely buckle. So it would look kinda like a "T" with JUST the very end hanging off... if it's only like an inch. So, if you need to extend the top so that the tank rests on all 4 sides of the plywood top, that would be fine. Just make sure there are no gaps.

You can put your 2x4 legs right on top of the plywood... just make sure that the fit is tight and there's no wiggle room. Should be just tight enough to have to tap it in with a hammer. Secure with a small metal "L" bracket so that the post doesn't go anywhere. Short screws are ok so that you don't drill through the floor.

Back
Top Bottom