# of Inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OUfishman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what the approximate number of hermit crabs, snails, star fish (basically a clean up crew) would be for a FOWLR in a 20gal long tank should be. I also have allot of slug things, I think they are stometella varia sp? Does that matter. I ask because I see online retailers selling package deals of like 30 hermits 10 turbos and a few other things for a 20 gal tank, it seems a little ecsessive, am I wrong?

Depends on the amount of clean up they need to do as to whether it is excessive. I have a 20g Reef with 175W MH and I have tons of stomatellas, 4 cerith snails, 10 dwarf zebra (left handed) hermits. 10 Trochus snails (down to about 3 now), 3 nassarius snails for my clean up crew.

I guess it just seems like its a little much. I only have 2 fish, 2 live rocks about 2-3 lbs. a peice and 3 base rocks weighing a total of about 8 lbs and live sand. I really dont think there is much to clean up. I guess im just wondering that if I do get some more hermits and snails (for some more movement in the tank) will there be enough food to sustaine them all.

That is the real question and all I can suggest is start with a small amount and if they don't keep up...get more. I would also recommend a variety, some critters do better at certain things than others, they all have their little niche.

If you have doubt about them having enough food, you can always feed them. Grocery stores sell "NORI" in their asian food section. This is plain dried seaweed, and can be used as a food source or your whole tank. Good luck 0X

Back
Top Bottom