Ok i messed up big time :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiiDsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've had my tank running for a while and I messed up by putting CC instead of live sand so I really want to change it ASAP!

My set up:
29g biocube
25-30lbs LR
Protein skimmer
Uv sterilizer
Circulation pump
Coral life s-1000 for return
Filters is media basket with LR rubble purgien and chemi pure

Levels are :
Ph 8.3
Nitrite 0
Ammo 0
Nitrate 20ppm
Phos : 0
Alkalinity : 10 ( took 10 drops to turn to yellow )
Salinity : 1.024

Livestock :
2 clowns
2 turbo snails
3 cardinals
Six-line wrasse
3 hermit crabs
1 Halloween crab
1 cleaner shrimp

How do I go about switching my substrate please help

Attachments

• image-279056564.jpg
    image-279056564.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 139
First you have to make sure to really really thoroughly wash the new substrate you are going to put in. There's really no need to buy actual live sand, plain dry sand will be fine.

After the water runs clear then pull the live rock, fish, and inverts into a rubbermaid tote of tank water. Keep the heater and at least 1 powerhead going in the tote to keep things normal.

Use some sort of scooping implement to get the CC out. I would suggest a milk jug cut into a scoop shape.

Add the clean sand, replace rocks and live stock, and continue about your merry way.

First you have to make sure to really really thoroughly wash the new substrate you are going to put in. There's really no need to buy actual live sand, plain dry sand will be fine.

After the water runs clear then pull the live rock, fish, and inverts into a rubbermaid tote of tank water. Keep the heater and at least 1 powerhead going in the tote to keep things normal.

Use some sort of scooping implement to get the CC out. I would suggest a milk jug cut into a scoop shape.

Add the clean sand, replace rocks and live stock, and continue about your merry way.

Great thanks one more question how many bags should I use? 20lbs or 40?

How deep would you go?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would personally go with a normal sand bed. Probably 1 - 2 inches deep

Ok I was think that as well now cleaning obviously isn't by using a siphon. Do I just Occasionally move the top of the Dsb so algae or what not does grown

a DSB is approximately 5 inches or more and can't be disturbed. Depending on the grain size of the sand I usually just use my siphon to clean it up. I probably wouldn't go smaller than fiji pink sized aragonite. From what I've heard the oolite sand can be a little too fine.

a DSB is approximately 5 inches or more and can't be disturbed. Depending on the grain size of the sand I usually just use my siphon to clean it up. I probably wouldn't go smaller than fiji pink sized aragonite. From what I've heard the oolite sand can be a little too fine.

I heard the same thing ha :) how would u siphon wouldn't it just suck all the sand out ?

I heard the same thing ha :) how would u siphon wouldn't it just suck all the sand out ?

I find that if I hold the siphon at a 45 degree angle the sand will just drift to the bottom of the siphon and slide out. If you hold the siphon straight up you will be sucking up sand. Everything that I want to remove is lighter than the sand so doesn't sink out of the siphon.

Back
Top Bottom