Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just filled up my tank with tap water, its a 75 gallon havent added salt or fish yet but all things are on it like PS and filter. I didnt even know you werent supposed to use tap :0 should i take all of it out?

Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictiveAdam View Post
I just filled up my tank with tap water, its a 75 gallon havent added salt or fish yet but all things are on it like PS and filter. I didnt even know you werent supposed to use tap :0 should i take all of it out?
nah, just let it sit for a week or so

Old 08-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

@AddictiveAdam, tap water has a lot of nutrients and contaminants in it. My tap water read 256 ppm total dissolved solids where as my RO/DI water reads 0 ppm. The extra stuff in the water can lead to algae outbreaks and be harmful or irritative to your tank inhabitants.

With that being said, I just mixed up 18 gallons of tap water with salt to do my water change tomorrow. It's necessary. I've had >1 ppm ammonia along with high nitrates after my huge cyano die off. I just didn't want to mention it publicly ;p
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:31 AM   #14

Im new to it, so i just didnt know. I got this thing that is supposed to make tap water into fish water its a long cylinder shape with 2 tubes on the end.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's okay, I didn't know either when I first started. Then I bought an RO/DI unit that hooks up under my sink. Unfortunately the plumbing to it is broken right now.

What do you have, exactly? Have a picture?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #16

Amazon.com: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals 175 Tap Water Filter, Filtration System for Fresh or Salt Water Aquariums: Pet Supplies
heres a link to the same product
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #17

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals 175 Tap Water Filter, Filtration System for Fresh or Salt Water Aquariums type that into amazon or google and th eproduct will come up!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

That looks like it's just DI water. You really should be using RO/DI. Get a cheap TDS meter and check how much stuff is in the water you're putting in your aquarium.

It really is a good thing to invest in (only like $15) to check how pure your water is in the future!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, so now my ammonia is .5, nitrites are .25 and nitrates are 40
I'd hate to do another PWC with tap water.
You think these levels are safe to leave for a week?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I got my plumbing parts today and hooked it up and it works.

However, it makes water way slower than it used to. This is how I broke the plumbing in the first place.. investigating why it wasn't making water as much as it used to.

What does it mean when my RO/DI unit is making water a lot slower than it used to? My pressure is good. And it's still reading 0ppm TDS, so I don't think the cartridges are bad or gunked up.

Tags
tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com