This is a sad story, so bear with me. I have a 65 Gal
tank that was a reef tank. Unfortunately, illness put me in the hospital for a while and my darling wife decided that it was more important to look after me than it was to look after the aquarium. (Not a bad choice when you think about it.) The water got low, the pump burned out, and algae went wild. She finally just turned out the lights and let it sit there. As I got better, she decided to try to do something about the tank before I came home. She had learned, back when the tank was a FO
and we had artificial and dead rocks and coral, that, if the algae got too bad, she could lay it out in the sun. Our hot Florida sun would definitely get rid of the algae. Well, she decided that if it worked for the artificial stuff, then why not do the same for the LR
. IT WORKED! NO MORE ALGAE!
I don’t need to go on. You can imagine the end result.
I am now doing much better health wise and am in the process of rebuilding the tank. My question is… The fifty pounds or so of ONCE (expensive) LIVE ROCK is still on the patio. It is a beautiful white color. What would be the result of putting it back in the tank? I have put about thirty pounds of new LR
in the tank and it is coming along fine, but I would like to build it up a little more. Would the rock ever recover? What precautions should I take if I do put it back in? Should I boil it to make sure it is really sterile? Would it hurt, even if it won’t recover, to use it as a base underneath the new LR
to make it look like it was more?
I really do love my wife and I didn’t get mad. She had me to worry about and I thank her for that. :P