One last (QUICK) live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I am ready to place my order with liverocks.com - 40# keys rock. My question (excuse my inner cheapskate) is am I that much better off buying this rock online versus locally? It's hard to justify money spent on shipping that could be put toward more rock or back in my wallet. I am far more concerned with coralline algae than critters (my reasoning behind getting the key rock instead of gulf rock)to help seed my tank. I know this rock generally has a lot of life but does it also have a lot more algae than I am likely to find at the lfs?

TIA.

That's a tough question to answer without seeing what your LFS has to offer :wink: Most people order online due to the fact that their LFS has realy expensive LR or it's much nicer online. In most cases it seems that both cases are true.

saberry said:
I am far more concerned with coralline algae than critters (my reasoning behind getting the key rock instead of gulf rock)to help seed my tank. I know this rock generally has a lot of life but does it also have a lot more algae than I am likely to find at the lfs?
If that's the case I would go the cheapest route, dry base rock. You could then easily seed the rock with Garf Grunge for the needed coralline. Detrivor kits can be added for fauna. Aside from shipping costs, that would be the thriftiest route.

Cheers
Steve

jamal-188 said:
That's a tough question to answer without seeing what your LFS has to offer :wink: Most people order online due to the fact that their LFS has realy expensive LR or it's much nicer online. In most cases it seems that both cases are true.

The stuff at my lfs is nothing to write home about. The cost is about $4.50/lb for 40# and up. The price at liverocks is actually better b/4 shipping but about $45.00 higher after shipping.

steve-s said:
saberry said:
I am far more concerned with coralline algae than critters (my reasoning behind getting the key rock instead of gulf rock)to help seed my tank. I know this rock generally has a lot of life but does it also have a lot more algae than I am likely to find at the lfs?
If that's the case I would go the cheapest route, dry base rock. You could then easily seed the rock with Garf Grunge for the needed coralline. Detrivor kits can be added for fauna. Aside from shipping costs, that would be the thriftiest route.

Cheers
Steve

What is Garf Grunge and detrivor kit? BTW, I already have 115lbs base rock in the tank.

PS Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending the money. I just want to make sure I am going to get the desired effect from what I do spend.

Have you used either of these companies? Their websites are a little erratic. :eek:
So, for a 75 gal, I would get one detrivor kit (is this too many critters?) and how many lbs of the live sand activator (is this the garf grunge?) would you recommend. Also, I have a CC substrate, will this make any difference - is it going to look funky with sand mixed in the cc??

Also, on the detrtivore kit, can this be added to a tank that is still cyling. I am in this first week and at about 1ppm amonia - no nitrite as of last night.

Thanks so much. This is a BIG help.

:lol: :lol: LOL! Despite the title of this thread, I guess this wasn't the last or a quick question. :lol: :lol:

You could always just seed your base rock with shavings of coralline.

Oh well. I do have one more lfs that I want to check. Their livestock is always very nice, but being strictly fw before, I never paid any attention to their lr.

I will probably just hand pick detrtivores that will work with my substrate. I wasn't sure about worms but I don't think crabs and snails are going to be too picky about where their food is located. :)

I do think you could save money buying on-line. I have never bought on-line because I have gotten mine slowly over the last year and half. I am lucky because my LFS has great looking LR. I have a combo o Fiji and Carribean LR. It does cost more ($10 per lbs) but I like the fact that I can hand pick my pieces and I do not need to cure it myself. However, If I was just starting a tank I would order a big batch on-line.

saberry said:
Have you used either of these companies? Their websites are a little erratic. :eek:
Not personally but I have conversed with several that have and all have been happy with the results.

So, for a 75 gal, I would get one detrivor kit (is this too many critters?) and how many lbs of the live sand activator (is this the garf grunge?) would you recommend.
The good thing about any type of detrivour you add to the tank is they multiply on their own once the parameters are agreeable. The one should be fine. As far as the Grunge I wouldn't suggest anything more than 3-5 lbs max. Same thing applies. Once it's in the tank, it will multiply.

Also, I have a CC substrate, will this make any difference - is it going to look funky with sand mixed in the cc??
Grunge is basically just coralline scrappings and bugs. It will be fine with the CC. The smaller particles will simpley settle to the bottom over time but will not be a concern. Just be sure you leave the skimmer off for a week or so after the grunge is introduced and there is good water flow.

Also, on the detrtivore kit, can this be added to a tank that is still cyling. I am in this first week and at about 1ppm amonia - no nitrite as of last night.
I would wait on the detrivour kit until after the cycle. It will help ensure the maximum number or critters survive and proliferate. The grunge wouldn't hurt to wait on either.

Cheers
Steve

darb2 said:
i don't think that either kit will work with cc :(
I disagree. The fauna and coralline introduced will survive just fine dependant on tank conditions. The only drawback to CC is how it ends up trapping wastes. Other than that it's no less hospitable than sand. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I say if you don't want a lot of critter which you don't based on your other posts. I would go with fiji from the LFS for the following reason.

lr.com = 5.40 a # (with shipping)
Its almost twice the weight of Fiji.. So it really costs more. I have a 140 in my 90 and it still looks a little empty.
Less Critters
I think fiji makes a better aquascape.

The only thing that you don't get is the coraline coverage, but that will grow.

CBRGuy said:
I say if you don't want a lot of critter which you don't based on your other posts. I would go with fiji from the LFS for the following reason.

lr.com = 5.40 a # (with shipping)
Its almost twice the weight of Fiji.. So it really costs more. I have a 140 in my 90 and it still looks a little empty.
Less Critters
I think fiji makes a better aquascape.

The only thing that you don't get is the coraline coverage, but that will grow.

Sounds like good reasoning - I did not know that about the rock density. Actually though, and this may not have been clear, I don't mind critters. What I'm concerned about is unwanted hitchhikers along with the beneficials. That is one of the reasons steve-s's suggestion about the detrivor kit sounds promising - I'll know exactly what I'll be getting.

Back
Top Bottom