One more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can put an engenier goby they are very dosiles and when they change they look like an eel and they are very resistant

They are stationary and they will hide under a rock no problem i used to have 2 in a 20 g for over 9 month

You can put an engenier goby they are very dosiles and when they change they look like an eel and they are very resistant

They are stationary and they will hide under a rock. I used to have 2 in a 20 g for over 9 months and then i got a 65 g

They are stationary and they will hide under a rock in the sand i used to have 2 in a 20 g for over 9 month then i upgraded

You couldnt do an engineer in a 10. They grow to be quite large for a goby.

LadyQuorra said:
Just because you can fit more fish without your parameters going crazy doesn't mean you should. Fish need their space, just because they are surviving doesn't mean it's the best condition for them. I would recommend trying to stay close to LA minimum requirements as well as the following inch rules.
How many fish can you keep in your tank?
"How Many Fish?" Aquarium Stock Level Calculator

You could ovoid the problem of not having enough space by only getting small fish. Basslet, clowns, damsels, dwarf angels, small gobies, fire fish.

You could ovoid the problem of not having enough space by only getting small fish. Basslet, clowns, damsels, dwarf angels, small gobies, fire fish.

the problem with some of these fish, such as damsels, is the fact that they need larger territories. And in a 20, no dwarf angel should be in there.

The inch rule is a bit outdated and misleading imo. There are just too many variables to be able to put set limits on tank sizes when it comes to fish. Adult size, eating habits and styles, territorial needs, compatability needs, etc. the best we can do as responsible hobbyists is formulate a "rough draft" stock list, gain as much input as needed on it, then adjust accordingly. The same can be done while adding fish. Also just because someone states that they can do something or were able to do something, does not necessarily mean you will have the same outcome. This also works the other way around. For instance, i have a 125 fowlr with 6 fish in it, its been up for over a month, with no skimmer running, and the trates are at 10-20, most people will tell me thats not possible, but for some reason thats how the tanks running.

Yes, everything is very variable. I look at it this way when populating a reef. Fish only is similar.

#1 Is this fish reef safe? If not, forget it unless it is for a fish only system. Taking chances you might get that one dwarf angle that doesn't eat polyps is a big risk.

#2 What kind of environment is the fish use to? Does it have a territory of a few cubic feet, or miles of reef. I don't care how bad you want them, or what excuse you use, adding certain tangs to a too small system is disaster. Period, there are NO exceptions. No matter how many or few fish. While for example, a fire fish doesn't ever roam, even in nature, more than a few yards.

#3 Can I keep this fish fed? Will it accept a broad enough diet to lead a healthy and long life? Don't buy mandarins and butterfly fish unless you are ready to tackle feeding them, otherwise go burn your money in the street, at least you will get warm.

#4 Is this a territorial fish and do I have a setup that allows it to have its territory? Otherwise stress and fighting is in your future, then somebody dies.

#5 Does the fish look active, healthy and parasite free at the LFS?

#6 How long has the fish been at the LFS and is it gaining or loosing weight during its stay?

#7 Watch the fish eat at the LFS. Don't take "sure, he eats like a pig."

#8 Populate the tank based on the adult fish's size. Don't con yourself that when that angel fish gets as big as a dinner plate in your 55 gallon, you're going out and buying that 300 gallon tank for him...it rarely happens,

#9 Get your information together before hand, or carry a smart phone. Don't trust the LFS, verify.

#10 Ask yourself, Am I impulse buying this fish and ignoring all I know I should do because I just HAVE to have him? This rarely works out.

I have seen systems teeming with fish that were healthy and have seen systems with just a few fish that weren't. It's all about the balance.
There are hundreds, maybe thousands of fish to pick from.

JIMO from a old LFS owner.

Last edited:
huma-huma said:
The inch rule is a bit outdated and misleading imo. There are just too many variables to be able to put set limits on tank sizes when it comes to fish. Adult size, eating habits and styles, territorial needs, compatability needs, etc. the best we can do as responsible hobbyists is formulate a "rough draft" stock list, gain as much input as needed on it, then adjust accordingly. The same can be done while adding fish. Also just because someone states that they can do something or were able to do something, does not necessarily mean you will have the same outcome. This also works the other way around. For instance, i have a 125 fowlr with 6 fish in it, its been up for over a month, with no skimmer running, and the trates are at 10-20, most people will tell me thats not possible, but for some reason thats how the tanks running.

100% agree. The inch rule is old school. At the aquarium store there is at least 30 damsels in 40 gallon tank. Obviously this doesn't say anything but this is the cleanest and well known store in Lafayette Indiana.

If it were my tank, I'd add a Bangai. I think 2 clowns, a gramma, and a Bangai makes for a great little community in a 20. None of these fish need a lot of space to swim.

Might want to get a captive bred Bangai for two reasons.

1. They have been over collected wild. Populations have been effected.
2. Wild ones have been known to die fast with no reason what so ever. The CB's are very hardy and eat right off the bat.

The Bangai Cardinal is a wonderful fish. Not aggressive, attractive, and long lived. Good choice IMHO.

The gramma and clownfish felt like taking a group picture

Attachments

• image-3555379768.jpg
    image-3555379768.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 76
Cool! Maybe even a splash of blue with a yellow tail damsel to complete the color wheel. Can I get a full tank shot?

Don't wanna run the risk of a damsel terrorizing everything

Attachments

• image-3562624037.jpg
    image-3562624037.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 49
I am pretty sure our angel fish is pregnant.. where do I go to find out how long her gestation period is and what to do to make sure she is ok and so are the babies. I know NOTHING about a pregnant Angel Fish...HELP!!

4127john said:
Don't wanna run the risk of a damsel terrorizing everything

If you get one damsel, your risk of them being territorial decreases some. I have an angel damsel, I think that's the name lol. It's bright blue with a yellow tipped tail. It kinda just chills by its self

Back
Top Bottom