Online live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to the lfs today to go lr shopping and they want 9.99 a lb. So I want to buy lr from Live rock I have a 38 gallon aquarium and I need advice on what rock to buy. I was thinking the premium fiji 25 lb pack and then a littlebit of base rock to make up the rest. Does this sound good?

Agree with melosu58... here's another place to check out:

www.premiumaquatics.com

I got all my live rock from them. I gave them a call, told them what I envisioned for my aquascaping, and they told me what they had in their tanks that they thought would do what I wanted. You can look at my tank in my gallery and see that I got some HUGE chunks of rock that would probably be considered "show" pieces... but they charge the same price no matter what the size of the piece.

I ended up going online because like you, my LFS wanted big bucks for rock that wasn't that exciting. For me, the risk of taking rock sight unseen was worth it, but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you can actually talk to the folks picking out the rock and have a general idea of the size of pieces you're getting.

Check out your local reef clubs online as well, you may be able to pick up some locally for 1.00 or 2.00 a pound and not pay shipping!

I have heard some horror stories involving Aquacon. I have no personal experience w/ them though. I got some of my LR from marinedepotlive.com. They, along w/ the other places suggested above, will probably have about the same quality rock. I got the regular Fiji and it's nice stuff IMO.
Good luck

I 2nd the marcorock. I was quite happy with the various sizes and how porous the rocks are.

try craigslist.com, a lot of times you can find people either selling their tank that will sell you the rock or are breaking their tanks up. I found lots of rock on there when I was looking, and you can usually find some good, already cycled stuff.

try craigslist.com, a lot of times you can find people either selling their tank that will sell you the rock
Good point. I recently saw someone giving away a 55 gal including fluorescent lighting, LR and PH's for FREE on there! The only stipulation was you had to take everything. Just beware though anyone doing this, buying old, used LR could lead to nutrient and algae issues sooner rather than later and you'll also inherit any pests, ie. coral eating flatworms, redbugs, etc. Get the facts before you buy so to speak.

true I jumped on my local craigs list and found a 225g tank with a nurse shark,,

I bought from liveaquaria - i had an "issue" with the shipping container being damaged, called them on it and they refunded me the shipping charge (the rock is fine, on a side note)

I too have used marco rocks. His base rock looks great, is very pourous and light weight. Plus he was very responsive to all email inquiries and had a very friendly attitiude. I also used premium aquatics for live rock and receive some very nice pieces from them as well. I told Premium aquatics the dimensions of my tank and they sent me appropriately sized pieces to aquascape the tank.

Shaun

Back
Top Bottom