Open top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An open tank can help you keep the temperature down in your tank but you will have more evaporation and if you have "jumpers", you might come home to find one of your little buddies dead on the floor. Other than that, I have not read anything that would suggest that an open tank is too bad. One other consideration is children. My 3 year old son would see that as an open invitation to put stuff in the tank.

I keep glass top open in summer time when it gets hot to keep temp down. But I am topping off at least once a week. Evaporation rate is crazy with lid off.

Open top is preferred. Glass enclosed is not a good thing. Air and gas exchange is sacrificed and can cause problems.

I used polypropelene netting over mine, built into a hard frame I constructed. Others use ceiling light grids.

austinsdad said:
Open top is preferred. Glass enclosed is not a good thing. Air and gas exchange is sacrificed and can cause problems.

I used polypropelene netting over mine, built into a hard frame I constructed. Others use ceiling light grids.

+1

OK, so the light on my tank fits into the hood. When you use a ceiling light grid, do you dispense with the light all together or do you simply place the light on top of the grid? I don't have any coral or inverts that need lots of light.

I only use a glass top on my one tank that has jumpers in it. The ph is more stable in my other 2 without tops on. I know about egg crate but I know my one fish could get out of it.

I have an open top tank.... Nothing is wrong except the water evaporates very quickly

Back
Top Bottom