Ophiarachna incrassata - Green Brittle Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had one of these stars in my tank for a couple of months now and have seen a few mixed reviews. Many people claiming they can eat tank mates! Anybody here have any horror stories about the Ophiarachna incrassata? I am concerned that it may take my juvenile clownfish and as I plan to get some cleaner shrimp next month, I would like to know beforehand whether it will want them for lunch!

Thanks, any comments on the Ophiarachna incrassata would be much appreciated!

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Hard to say what the personality of yours might be. I've personally seen them get huge. And they aren't shy at all. I've never witnessed one attacking a tank mate, but I've heard plenty of stories. Always second hand information, never from one who saw it.

Still, IME with brittles and serpent stars, I've NEVER seen one that bold and move so fast out in the open. That and how big I've seen them made me return him to the lfs. Replaced him with a greyish brittle who was very mild mannered. Would stay on a rock for days at a time. Had another red serpent at the same time. Both would feed from my hands. My red is currently in the SW photo contest thread.

Thanks for the reply, mine is pretty large (7"ish) and is very quick to grab any food I put in the tank. He is awesome to watch but I am really considering trading him in at the store for a calmer brittle species as you have. I just don't think I want to risk it!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

That is huge. And he'll get bigger. I've seen them with the disk the size of a half dollar. You seriously got my vote to return him.

Back
Top Bottom