Opinions on Diamond Watchman Goby and best snail for algae eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an orange diamond goby. Excellent sand sifter, just make sure your rock work is stable. Mine likes to burrow under the rocks to live but the sand is spotless. If you have fine grain sand expect to be cleaning off your rock work

I have an orange diamond goby. Excellent sand sifter, just make sure your rock work is stable. Mine likes to burrow under the rocks to live but the sand is spotless. If you have fine grain sand expect to be cleaning off your rock work

I'm just worried that he will eat all of the beneficial organisms in my sand quickly and starve...? If so, do you think a fighting conch would help keep the sand bed clean?

I've never kept diamond gobies but I believe that they are prone to jumping

They will eat what you feed the rest of your fish. No need to worry about starving. They have a very large mouth and can often eat food too big for other same size fish. I doubt it will strip your sand bed of organisms. I have a shallow sand bed(1-3") that mine sifts on a regular basis and there is still plenty of life left to be eaten by my sand sifting starfish.

Excellent sand sifter as mentioned but as mentioned make sure your rock work is sitting on bottom of tank and not just sitting on top of sand or it will shift as they burrow/dig out under your rock.

They will eat what you feed the rest of your fish. No need to worry about starving. They have a very large mouth and can often eat food too big for other same size fish. I doubt it will strip your sand bed of organisms. I have a shallow sand bed(1-3") that mine sifts on a regular basis and there is still plenty of life left to be eaten by my sand sifting starfish.

Excellent sand sifter as mentioned but as mentioned make sure your rock work is sitting on bottom of tank and not just sitting on top of sand or it will shift as they burrow/dig out under your rock.

Okay thanks. When you feed your other fish, does he swim up to get food or do you need to directly feed him? And my tank has only been running for three months with the sand being 1 1/2 inches deep.

Pink spotted gobies are my favorite. Excellent job sifting and looking nice. Find a way to cut nutrients in the tank instead of getting a snail. Never use livestock to get rid of algae.

Pink spotted gobies are my favorite. Excellent job sifting and looking nice. Find a way to cut nutrients in the tank instead of getting a snail. Never use livestock to get rid of algae.

Okay I'm planning to get a protein skimmer and I generally like seeing snails in my tank. I currently have 4 Astraea in a 65 gallon and I think I need to get a few more snails that can turn themselves over if they fall. I need something to clean the algae from the rocks.

Does the pink spotted goby starve once it eats everything in the sand? I heard that gobies deplete your sand of all the beneficial organisms you have in there and make it no longer "live". Is this true?

Okay thanks. When you feed your other fish, does he swim up to get food or do you need to directly feed him? And my tank has only been running for three months with the sand being 1 1/2 inches deep.

Mine does. He swims all over during feeding but remains close to sand bed rest of the time.

Does the pink spotted goby starve once it eats everything in the sand? I heard that gobies deplete your sand of all the beneficial organisms you have in there and make it no longer "live". Is this true?

Probably depends on size of fish vs size of tank & sand bed. But probably unlikely.

I had a pink spot for 5 years. Not a great sifter but he did keep the tank clean of all shells. He would grab my snails and empty shells and bring them back to his cave. And yes he came up to eat. The orange diamond eats the frozen food that makes it to the bottom. And yes they do jump. Night 3 in my tank he ended up in the overflow.

Mine lived 15 yrs. He ate what the other fish ate.

Squamosa clam. One of the few that vho lighting is ok. To the OP I would consider the pink spotted goby. They are very personable.

Alright thanks! :) now all I gotta decide is if I should get the watchman goby or the pink spotted

Back
Top Bottom