Opinions on online fish shopping!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiGeR1986

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, hows it going? Wanted to get some opinions on a subject that seems a lil controversial. I work at a LFS, so i usually have no need for Buying fish online. But i know that there isnt FS's everywhere, and some people have no other choice, especially when we are talking about Marine Life! You can go buy fresh water fish at Meijers. So people that have had success or no success with ordering online fish let me know, or post your horror stories here. Im really interested. Take Care everyone.

I have been wondering about this also. Seems like a very interesting option. I know that this doesn't have to do with fish...but I know people who have ordered chicks through the mail before. It was a flawless procedure and all survived. I would like to hope that the fish would be able to make a mail trip as most of them are placed in styrofoam boxes and shipped with their needed temperature alterations.

Any thoughts on ordering aquatic plants online?

I dont buy my stuff online. I would rather buy at the LFS. I know its more expensive but at the LFS I can see what kind of health the fish is. I can also get the LFS to feed the fish to make sure he is eating. In other words I would rather pay a little extra to see that the fish is doing OK then to save a few dollars and get what I get. JMO. I know not all have a LFS or maybe they do and they cant be trusted so there is a place sometimes for online buying. I do buy alot of equipment online though.

I like:
thatpetplace.com
liveaquaria.com
vividaquariums.com

I have ordered from marinedepotlive.com and will never do that again.
saltwaterfish.com dyes their corals, so that is a no for me.

A GREAT place to get plants online is Sweet Aquatics He's a really nice guy and his plants are large, crispy and well priced. Usually a couple extras in there, too.

I buy most of my fish on AquaBid, and I've never had a deal go bad. A fun group of true hobbiests, for the most part-just check feedback before you bid.

It's a lot more fun than dealing with my cranky LFS owner, who spends the whole time I'm there complaining about online supply shops. I'd gladly pay 20% more for stuff to buy it locally, but dude-not 200% more!

A GREAT place to get plants online is Sweet Aquatics He's a really nice guy and his plants are large, crispy and well priced. Usually a couple extras in there, too.

I buy most of my fish on AquaBid, and I've never had a deal go bad. A fun group of true hobbiests, for the most part-just check feedback before you bid.

It's a lot more fun than dealing with my cranky LFS owner, who spends the whole time I'm there complaining about online supply shops. I'd gladly pay 20% more for stuff to buy it locally, but dude-not 200% more!
thanks for posting that, now I get to spend the paycheck I dont get until friday LOL :D he has good prices and free shipping on orders over $35, I will take it!

Has anyone had particularly good luck with online vendors concerning live rock?

I got a 40# box of regular fiji rock from drs foster and smith ( aka live aquaria for live things) , total with shipping was about $150 - half the price of my LFS. I got a good variety of sizes and lots of small critters ( worms, pods etc). Nothing too fancy since it was regular grade, but i'm happy with it. After about 3-4 months i'm starting to see some coraline grow now. I'd certainly recommend them!

I will never buy a fish from a LFS ever again. I worked in one for over 6 years. I have been in the hobby for almost 20 years. After making many contacts in the industry and traveling. I personally buy from divers directly or from wholesalers. LFS are overpriced and usually the fish are damaged by the time they receive them and in many cases continue poor treatment. Some online retailers I recommend are wetpetshawaii.com, Phishybusiness, austinaquafarms, LA, bluezooaquatics

Back
Top Bottom