opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chizzle

Aquarium Advice Regular
We're are thinking about making some changes to our tank & just wanted some quick opinions. I think I might be pushing it but...Whats the likely hood of keeping a trigger & a tang in a 75gal tank? I know that I wouldn't be able to keep huge species of these two fish, and im not even 100% sure of which species I would want. Over all, though, I think I want one of the zebramosa (sp?) species of tang, and probably a bluethroat trigger. And if it is possible, what other fish would I be able to keep with them?

I know these fish are fairly large when adult & there are mixed opinions, but I just wanted to hear some more :)

You would be fine with one bluethroat trigger and no other fish IMO but mixing any tang with it is just going to be too much in the long run and you will always be fighting excess nutrient issues. IMO you should never buy fish that can/will outgrow a tank.

If you abandon the trigger idea then you could house one Yellow tang, Kole Tang, Convict Tang, Tomini Tang, or Purple Tang with a couple of smaller fish.

IMO the bluethroat trigger may be too aggressive. I have a pink tail and 3 Niger triggers along with a sailfin and Unicorn Tang. While these tangs will out grow your 75 gal you could try one each of these.

Scopas Tang
Blue Tang
Kole Yellow Eye Tang
Convict Tang
with a
Pinktail Triggerfish
Niger Triggerfish

My Pinktail and Niger Triggerfish prettey much ignore the other fish.

I'm still up in the air on the idea. I think we really need to think about upgrading again. I have my heart set on a trigger & the boyfriend has his heart set on the reef. Who knows. I just wanted to get some ideas & see if there was a way to combine the two in the current tank, but it doesn't look that way. Thanks for all the advice though, it is always appreciated :)

Sorry to post off topic but I have to ask...exy33, was the pic in your avatar taken at the Monteray bay Aquarium?

What a joy she is. Yes, I have been there but do not look nealy as cute sitting in that clam shell (trust me...I have pics). It is a wonderful place and such a great expience for your grand daughter.

Back
Top Bottom