Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

My friends 55 gallon. Livin life fine just as he did in the 29, and guess what? He got Bigger and hes healthy. O my goodness i guess it can be done

Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Nice post CCC! I really think this one explains it really well.
"Fish growth and tank size
Hi guys,
I need to solve a question that has been coming up a lot lately on many of the fish forums. Do fish only grow to the size of the aquarium they are in? I think this is an idiotic statement, but I've been an idiot before when it comes to this hobby. If fish only grow to the size of tank they are kept in, why did I have to upgrade from a 75g to a 125g tank when my Koran angel outgrew the original tank? I didn't see any indication that he was going to stop growing anytime soon.
Thanks and great job on this web sight. I've been coming here for 2 years and it only gets better!!
Regards, Susan
<Susan, the idea that fish will only grow to the size of their aquarium is an old one, but is only slightly true. Freshwater fish are fairly easy to stunt and usually do not outgrow their tanks. They just usually die prematurely from health complications from poor water quality in cramped quarters or they just jump out and die on your rug. Saltwater fish do not stunt well and again succumb to the health issues relating to water quality or jump. In general, if you want a healthy, happy pet, provide it with plenty of room, good overall water quality, and a varied diet, and you will be rewarded with a long-lived friend. -Steven Pro>"

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiGeR1986 View Post
My friends 55 gallon. Livin life fine just as he did in the 29, and guess what? He got Bigger and hes healthy. O my goodness i guess it can be done
Well you did ask for opinions. Whether you take any that`s up to you. You`ve got some great opinions from several folks. You asked and we gave them. Do what you want with them but dont mock anyones opinion or experience.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Now that is funny. Says alot for your husbandry and water quality that it stopped growing in those conditions, yet when moved to improved conditions it started growing again.

You titled the thread "Opinions Welcome"....but you don't seem to welcome them.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

there all moved into a 125 gallon now. Doing good. Anybody here have any experience with Bannerfish Heneiochus (sp). Heard they were pretty hardy. I want to get one soon. Not the long fin or banner ones. There is one that has a smaller banner, i think its the schooling one. Iv always loved these little guys. Im selling both my beloved triggers back tonight. Cause im gonna go with a non aggresive tank. I want to add some starfish as well, will the bannerfish nip at any of my stars? Also i just got a powder brown tang. Shes gordeous eating like a pig. Territorial though.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

None of the bannerfish species belong in a 125g as they just grow too large and territorial over time. They do; however, do best in social groups.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the opinion Innovator. Imma do some more research, but i will prolly take my chances. If it gets too big ill sell it bak to tah LFS i work at. Thanks again.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com