Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Opinions Welcome!! :)

Ok got a lil dilema that goes through my head everyone morning when i wake up and feed my beautiful fish there 5-star breakfast, then it continues as i go into work and see all the beautiful invertebrates and crustacions (SP?) Here it is. Right now i have a 55 gallon FOWLR tank. In it currently i have a Niger trigger, Blue Throat Trigger, 4 Damsels, Scopus tang, Snowflake, Cream Angel, Tomatoe Clown. I want to be able to keep urchins, crabs starfish snails anenomies all that good stuff. Not so much Corals. Not in this tank. I will do that in the future on a diff project. But for now this is all i got. I know to be able to add these lil fellows i will DEF need to get rid of Snowflake, Niger, n Blue Throat. well Snowflake is going back tomorrow while i still can get my 100% back cause the lil punk keeps jumping out..lol. But there is no way in Heck I can get rid of Niger i mean its my fav fish of all time. So what should i do guys??? Keep my tank the way it is, and keep adding some more LR. And just get maybe a 14 or so BioCube? then have that as my invertebrate tank with some lil clowns or psuedochromis's? U guys let me know. I have a beautful Niger too, i know that they are easy to get in at our store, but i really take to my fish, i know some ppl feel that they are disposable, but not me? SOO CONFUSED..NEED UR HELP

Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Way to many fish in a 55 gallon.
Cream angel and trigger rated 70 gallon min.

Get a bigger tank. I hop you have a skimmer?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

there completely fine in my tank. saltwaterfish.com rated 55 for angel. its all preference, and the size of the fish
Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
But there is no way in Heck I can get rid of Niger i mean its my fav fish of all time. So what should i do guys???
I think you answered your own question. You know you can't have inverts with the niger trigger. I assume you also know that trigger can get to be 12" long, which is the width of your tank from front to back. Maybe a little cramped for that fish?
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Well, saltwaterfish.com also says a certain tang gets to be 1-3 inches, when in reality, it get to grow to about a foot......
Blue Hippo Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

as opposed to this:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Tang

I think they are a little misinformed.
The triggers, tang and Angel all need at least a 70G tank.
How long has it been up and running?
You are at 46 inches of adult fish in a 55G, not including the damsels. Unfortunately, you may start having issues in the near future if you don't upgrade that tank or take some of the poor fish back.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If removing some of the fish into another tank is the only way of getting some out of the 55 then you`ll need to do so. That`s a large bioload for that size tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I understand, but you gotta remember that the fact of fish grow to the size of their environment. Ive had a niger in a 29 for 4 years before, and never grew bigger than a medium. So your telling me that Im going to wake up one day and my Niger is going to be a foot long?? LOL, I dont think that will happen. My niger is 3 inches long, and yea if he grew to be too large for my aquarium i have a 90 gallon setting up right now. Obv if he got too big i would take him back, you guys are acting like i would just leave him in there to die cmon. The question i had posted here wasnt about how my "bioload" is, it was the question about the inverts. But we'll c ill keep you guys informed. There are alot of people that dont go "Buy the book" and establish perfectly fine tanks with water quality. I ran all my tanks for a week with nothin but jumbo shrimp. And im sure as iv seen here that alot of ppl here prolly frown on that, and think that YOU MUST cycle for a month and a half. But ive had perfect water quality, and fish. So that is JMO. Thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiGeR1986 View Post
I understand, but you gotta remember that the fact of fish grow to the size of their environment.
In a way you are right but not in the sense you are talking about. Their growth is stunted being in a smaller tank. This usually results in illnesses and can lead to death. I personally think that some of our diseases are because of these stunted growth envionments. I had a person on this site many years ago that confirmed this. He`s not here any more but all that remember Steve S. know who I`m talking about. Most knowledgeable SW person I ever met. You asked for opinions and I`m giving you that. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

We are also talkin about a really Hardy fish, Now if i had put a Moorish Idol in my tank, i would understand you a hundred and fifty percent.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
I understand, but you gotta remember that the fact of fish grow to the size of their environment. Ive had a niger in a 29 for 4 years before, and never grew bigger than a medium.
You HAD it for 4 years. Where is it now?
You may want to read Faq's on Growth Limiting Chemicals and Growth Inhibiting Substance(s) of Fishes.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com