Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i test all my parameters three times in a row and they are all reading the same as i listed in the OP. I don't think I'm messing up the tests I have been testing for a while I have two freshwater tanks for over a year now. Im am however using API test kits for this... should I use something else? Yes I have a canister filter - Fluval 406, a large HOB filter and am running carbon bio balls filter sponges and clearmax. I have about 10 LBS of live rock that I cycled with the tank ( yes I'm working on adding 50LBS more) and no i don't intend to keep coral at all. It was brought up that it may have been stressed which I agree because he was very hard to net both at the fish store and after drip acclimation look about 10 min to net from the bucket. He mostly hid when it wasn't feeding time in the rock. I really appreciate all the feed back its awesome thanks everyone. As far as cleaning goes i have a meticulous cleaning habits although I'm bios haha. look forward to hearing back from everyone.... thanks again

Aquatic-Airman

Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

if i may kick in my 2 cents your salinity is in the safe range , but its on the low side most saltwater fish prefer 1.024 to 1.026 this could also be the issue

Old 10-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
if i may kick in my 2 cents your salinity is in the safe range , but its on the low side most saltwater fish prefer 1.024 to 1.026 this could also be the issue

Thank you for bringing that up I forgot to ask about that..... how do you recommend brining it up to the preferred levels. I have read to top evap with salt water, is that correct? If so should the salt mix be at the desired level or the current SG.

Aquatic-Airman
Old 10-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

PODS are little tiny living creatures, Tisbe Amphipod & Copepods, like little teardrop shaped crustaceans also as described by reefs2go "Many species are planktonic (drifting in sea waters), but more are benthic (living on the ocean floor"

A favorite food for the Gobies.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
PODS are little tiny living creatures, Tisbe Amphipod & Copepods, like little teardrop shaped crustaceans also as described by reefs2go "Many species are planktonic (drifting in sea waters), but more are benthic (living on the ocean floor"

A favorite food for the Gobies.

No I don't have any pods in my tank. I always say the goby eating both the pellets and the brine shrimp everyday I don't think he starved.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy281 View Post
No I don't have any pods in my tank. I always say the goby eating both the pellets and the brine shrimp everyday I don't think he starved.

I lost my Goby after a month and a half and I always saw him eating all the foods I fed and I fed a couple times a day to make sure he was well fed. But he ate most all the ones I had and always my lfs were out of them so I just wondered if it was due to not having enough pods, maybe supplies something special for their health.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well after all the info andy281 has provided, it is most likely one of those mystery deaths and not necessarily any fault on his part.
I'm sure if asked "Have you ever had a fish die for no apparent reason" everyone in the room would raise their hands.

TIP:
next time when acclimating take a second bucket/container and put the net over the top and then just pour the acclimation bucket/new fish into the net, no fuss, no muss, and a lot less stress for both you and the fish.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So what is your wc schedule? And did you ever get a nitrate spike after the cycle? And if so how high did it get?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Well after all the info andy281 has provided, it is most likely one of those mystery deaths and not necessarily any fault on his part.
I'm sure if asked "Have you ever had a fish die for no apparent reason" everyone in the room would raise their hands.

TIP:
next time when acclimating take a second bucket/container and put the net over the top and then just pour the acclimation bucket/new fish into the net, no fuss, no muss, and a lot less stress for both you and the fish.

Great tip I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of that haha .... And yes there the possibility that it was just a fluke and it died I just really like gobies and don't want to kill another one if its a problem on my part. Like I stated earlier I only have 10 lbs of live rock I'm going to order dry rock and cure it then add it to the tank along with adding a protein skimmer should I hold off on replacing the goby or any other live stock until I add the rock and skimmer ?

Old 10-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
So what is your wc schedule? And did you ever get a nitrate spike after the cycle? And if so how high did it get?

I change 5 gallons weekly. I did get a huge nitrite spike around 80ppm I was dosing ammonia everyday to build a huge bio filter when it was all completed my tank could turn 5ppm of ammonia thru the cycle in less then 12 hrs. Before I added any live stock I did a 90% water change.

Tags
die, died, goby, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com