Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Orange Spotted Goby Died

This is my first saltwater tank, I have experience in freshwater but a noob to saltwater. I currently have a 55 Gallon fish only tank that I cycled for a little over a month using pure ammonia and live rock. I am using a canister filter ( I know its not advised) I bought 2 clowns and a orange spotted goby about 2 weeks ago, today I found my goby dead ;( The clowns seem fine any ideas what happened? Im feeding pellets in the morning and brine shrimp at night I always see the goby eating when I feed along with the clowns but he hid in the rocks unless it was feeding time. I would like to buy another one but want to make sure its safe for it first. I have a little over two inch live sand bed.

My tank parameters (tested everyday)
55 Gallons
Temp- 79F
Ph-8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Salinity Tested with hydrometer and refractometer 1.021

None of my parameters have changed at all since I finished cycling and added the live stock.

Aquatic-Airman

Old 10-13-2014, 05:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do you have pods in the tank?

How often do you do pwc, and how much each time?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

sorry I'm new what do you mean PODS? I do a 10% water change weekly tho all my parameters are always undetectable even at the end of the week. I fed them twice a day in the morning when i get home from work and at night before i leave for work, I feed them as much as they will eat in 3 or 4 min and the was always excess for the goby to eat ...tho he did eat the pellets and brine shrimp directly from the water. there was always some excess in the sand im sure he ate tho in never saw him personally sift the sand.... i always saw him eat from the water with the clowns. He did hide a lot ....thoughts?

Aquatic-Airman
Old 10-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My guess is you have high nitrates, and aren't testing correctly. Feeding twice a day and a canister, I highly highly doubt that you have 0 nitrates (pretty much impossible IMHO).
Old 10-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ehh I wouldnt say its impossible. lol I have had zero trates when running a canister and feeding too much. All down to how well you clean the filter and how often and how big your water changes are. I will say it does take a good amount of effort though.

My thoughts on this guy dying would be he wasnt happy with the new tank and stressed out too much. I cant count how many fish I have introduced and havent made it after a week two. Alot depends on the actual fish itself, some dont do stress well plus who knows when the fish store got him in and how soon the OP bought him. These fish are captured poorly and transported poorly so you never know.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For a tank that is still in it's infancy and a two week old purchase, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Sounds like you have the water quality under control, but still add livestock slowly as a fishless cycle starts the process, but it really needs livestock present for the BB to really get established well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
My guess is you have high nitrates, and aren't testing correctly. Feeding twice a day and a canister, I highly highly doubt that you have 0 nitrates (pretty much impossible IMHO).
the nitrates would have to be astronomical to kill a fish that rapidly.
My tank hovers around 20-30 ppm of nitrate and has gotten as high as >100ppm once and I have not lost any critters due to high nitrate, even ones that are supposed to be very sensitive to nitrate, stars, shrimp, crabs, snails and they have all been doing great for going on 6-8 months.

and a reminder, it's the fish that are nitrate factories, not filters and any type of filter if not maintained properly will trap detritus and uneaten food and contribute to nitrates.
pre-filtering with socks or something and protein skimmers make a huge difference, but only if cleaned daily.

If the OP is not planning on keeping corals, he doesn't need to chase low nitrate numbers as hard.
I think that is one point that often is not made clear, while not perfect, fish can handle higher nitrates than corals can, yet it seems as if the majority of advice is made based on the idea of corals being present.

but I do agree there should be some nitrate detectable.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
For a tank that is still in it's infancy and a two week old purchase, I wouldn't stress too much about it. Sounds like you have the water quality under control, but still add livestock slowly as a fishless cycle starts the process, but it really needs livestock present for the BB to really get established well.

the nitrates would have to be astronomical to kill a fish that rapidly.
My tank hovers around 20-30 ppm of nitrate and has gotten as high as >100ppm once and I have not lost any critters due to high nitrate, even ones that are supposed to be very sensitive to nitrate, stars, shrimp, crabs, snails and they have all been doing great for going on 6-8 months.

and a reminder, it's the fish that are nitrate factories, not filters and any type of filter if not maintained properly will trap detritus and uneaten food and contribute to nitrates.
pre-filtering with socks or something and protein skimmers make a huge difference, but only if cleaned daily.

If the OP is not planning on keeping corals, he doesn't need to chase low nitrate numbers as hard.
I think that is one point that often is not made clear, while not perfect, fish can handle higher nitrates than corals can, yet it seems as if the majority of advice is made based on the idea of corals being present.

but I do agree there should be some nitrate detectable.

A stressed fish and high nitrates for 2 weeks is enough to kill a fish IME.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
A stressed fish and high nitrates for 2 weeks is enough to kill a fish IME.
then we have had different experiences

but all that aside and making the assumption that the OP didn't mess up the nitrate test multiple times, I would look to another reason for the gobies demise, true?

Your assessment is based on your assumption that the OP has not been doing the testing correctly, of which no evidence has been given to support that assumption other than the test results themselves, which Carey confirmed that while not the norm, they are not unreasonable nor unbelievable.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

True I am assuming that the op is using an api nitrate test, which are notorious for false 0s. But are you really telling me that 0 nitrate after a first stocking of 3 fish is possible? Because I don't think it is, no offense intended against Carey, as I have no doubt that she could do it, but not after adding 3 fish at once to a brand new tank.

Op what's your wc schedule like? Size and frequency?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

as usual i agree 110% with big red.

Tags
die, died, goby, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com