Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Orange Tank!!!

So i get home after the weekend and my tank is covered in yellow/orange alge of some sort can i have some help identifying and figuring out how to get rid of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	25241  

Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
Looks like diatoms -
Is your tank fairly new? How old?

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah it just got done cycling like 3 weeks ago i did the cycle with live rock and turned on the lights once it was done. There are 4 damsels in there right now.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SHARPiE
Its a part of starting a new tank. Try to reduce excess nutrients - feed once every other day, and if you feed frozen food, thaw it out in RODI water as frozen food tends to contain phosphates and these are a fuel for nuisance algae. Minimise lighting where possible and suck as much out with your vac, when you do you PWC.

It will eventually go away, and if you have coraline algae on your rocks - this will eventually take over. It's all a part of the new tank cycle.

Useful Acronyms
SHARPiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya that is your "first" algae cycle... you will go through a few. Just ride along and get to enjoy the look of algae, as it will come and go a few times over the next year to year and a half. The most important thing I can say is take it slow. Every time you want to change something to try to get rid of the algae you could create other problems and if you add to many things at once then you won't know what one caused the new problem. I would say just take it one step at a time. For this one I would suggest getting some CUC (Clean Up Crew). In the future if you are having problems you could look at nitrate reducers, but at this stage I would just get the CUC and see where that takes me.
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do you recommend as far as a CUC for a 55 gal w/ a wet dry filtration system?

Thanks for your answers I love this site!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would start with half a dozen hermit crabs and turbo snails. Make sure that you add some extra shells for the hermits cause if they decide they don't like their shell they will kill a snail to get one (if there isn't any laying around).

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com