Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
just out of curiosity, how do they ship fish? and wouldnt that cause stress moving around like that? just curious...

Like Linksyz said, liveaquaria ships in an airtight bubble protected box. I'm sure that the shipping is semi stressful to the fish and inverts that we have shipped, but I can tell you that as of today, all of them are still alive. I guess I can't exactly say how much stress they are going through, but it wasn't enough to kill them. BTW the 14 day guarantee is nice to have if anything does happen to go wrong in shipping.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have used liveaquaria.com and have had no problems with any livestock.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
Liveaquaria has a stay alive guarantee. It does not cover shipping which is the downside. I ordered some snails from reefcleaners.org and they are a great company to buy from.
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah Buying online is fine as lng as you know who you are buying from.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi All..

Liveaquaria from Drs Foster and Smith. I've ordered any times, both saltwater and fresh. In at least 8 orders, I only had one fish arrive deceased, which LiveAquaria replaced without requiring any proof, and all the others arrived healthy and active. This last order, they did goof. I ordered some freshwater swordtails and platties. The shipment arrived on time, nicely boxed, with a cool pack to combat the summer heat. Only problem was, I got someone else's order and ended up with 10 of the largest snails I have ever seen . LiveAquaria is resending, again, with no actual proof required. As for the poor snails who got a little lost in the mail, they went to my nearest store as I don't have a saltwater set-up.

The look on my face must have been priceless...I can only imagine what the look on the other person's face, the one who had originally ordered the snails, was when he/she got some freshwater fish instead. This is a very unusual occurrence with LiveAquaria who seem to be very careful in their shipping.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Dont get me wrong, I love the good doctors and think they have a great thing going. I buy alot of supplies from them but when it comes to livestock I buy from the LFS because I want to be able to observe the fish before I take it home. I want to make sure it`s eating and does not have an obvious disease or flaw. The eating part is important to me. If they are not eating there then chances are they wont eat at home.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
that's a really good point. if you are interested in finicky eaters its important to see them eat to make sure you dont starve the poor creature.
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I'm in agreement with most everyone else here, Live Aquaria was the site I was actually going to mention to you about whether I can order online from them or not. Seems like an excellent site, great prices and as somebody stated here a live guarentee. I may take a chance on it when I get my refugium all setup and set to go. My main concern is compatibility. What happens if you order a fish online and it just will not get along with a current fish in your tank? You're screwed it would seem to me. Now on the other hand you can take it back to your LFS and say "Uhh yes I need to try another species of fish, this one fights terribly with my Triggerfish" or something like that.

(Although the one thing I gotta say about Liveaquaria is they always seem to be out of stock of most of their stuff, what's up with that?) I've been waiting for Emp Angels to get in stock forever!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
But Mike, I don't have a LFS with a 2000 gallon tank! LOL!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

One of the reasons I don't use some of the local places around here is stock availability and basic health. Like many, I am pretty picky and it concerns me when I see dead fish floating in a tank. I owuld prefer local to online ordering of course, but, for the most part, I have never had a problem with Live Aquaria and the health of the fish/plants/inverts I have received, with the exception of that one deceased arrival.

What I defnitely prefer with the local is the fact that water conditions are pretty much the same. Getting livestock online you can pretty much say they are in near perfect tank conditions, something that isn't likely to be in every hobbyists' tanks no matter how hard we try

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com