Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Order fish online?

Does anyone have luck with ordering fish on the internet? I've been thinking more and more over the days about it, I just don't know if I should.

Steve

Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I have heard alot of horror stories from internet fish... i wondered the same thing and the more i googled, the less i wanted to risk it... i would say you would probably be better off picking out your fish in person... just my opinion though

Old 07-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No no I agree 100% with you, in fact I feel better now that I've heard somebody else feel the exact same way I do. Thanks!

Steve
Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It really depends on where you order from and how much you research the place beforehand from what I read liveaquaria.com is a really good one.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Like i said, ive never done it, nor will i ever... i just prefer to see the fish im paying for, especially the ones that are going to cost alot... my aunt was telling me a few minutes ago after i mentioned your post that she had bought some one time and said she would never do it again... they were sick fish that took her months to nurse back to good health and ended up dead a few months later... i dont like petsmart, but id get them there before id order them online
Old 07-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fair enough I was just stating that there are places online that can be very good, but you usually end up paying more than a LFS after shipping anyway so I don't usually recommend it unless you're only local place is a petco or some garbage like that.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just ordered a bunch of snails, a few sexy shrimp and a goby from Liveaquaria, all arrived alive and healthy. Including shipping I probably did end up paying a lil more than the LFS, but I couldn't find these in any of the LFS in my area. I'm not sure about other places, but I just wanted to share my experience with you and let you know some places are probably ok to order from.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

just out of curiosity, how do they ship fish? and wouldnt that cause stress moving around like that? just curious...
Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
is back to save the day!

See, i wasnt really going to get into this thread because this whole thread is all purely preference. Whether you trust the site or not.. or the amount of feedback you've heard from others on the site your buying from. But one thing i was going to say was, if anything, i trust liveaquaria the most. AA is also linked to premiumaquatics which sells living things online. I dont think AA would have linked to them if they weren't trusted right? Not saying that the occasional tragedy wouldnt happen? Also, im not sure how they ship corals or fish, but i know that liveaquaria ships the live rock in an air-tight, cushioned box/bag sort of thing. It says it on their site, and mainly, if you want to know how each site ships their products, its in your best interest to go to that site and either read up on it on their shipping page, or contact them somehow. I know that an online site will have WAY more selections than some LFS's. But then again.. this is all personal preference LOL.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I've ordered from plenty of places online and been quite pleased. Liveaquaria, thatfishplace have been the two I have been most happy with. The one place I would never order from again is now out of business...gee, I wonder why! I do like to see my fish before I buy and would rather buy locally, but they sometimes don't have the fish I want. I do constantly buy my inverts online.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com