Order of adding clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JW20VT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for your time reading my post...Have searched around for a few nights on google and through the forum with no luck in finding info needed.
Anyone have a starry blenny with a pair of clowns? Was just wondering if its better to add the clowns before the blenny or blenny before the pair of clowns?

Been holding back on getting clowns til i can find a pair i love, had to force myself to resist buying the awesome starry just hovering in the water watching/stare at me when i was looking though tanks at LFS.

Jeremy

Thanks for your time reading my post...Have searched around for a few nights on google and through the forum with no luck in finding info needed.
Anyone have a starry blenny with a pair of clowns? Was just wondering if its better to add the clowns before the blenny or blenny before the pair of clowns?

Been holding back on getting clowns til i can find a pair i love, had to force myself to resist buying the awesome starry just hovering in the water watching/stare at me when i was looking though tanks at LFS.

Jeremy

I have a flametail blenny and my clowns were in my tank for 8 months before I added him. They were immediately friends lol. You shouldn't have an issue either way IMO. I'd do clowns then starry blenny.

Thanks for the reply Bribo! :) I cant wait to add them , how does your blenny do with the shrimp? I noticed your livestock list has one also listed in your 20 reef. My 29g is basically your 20g but taller , im just having trouble picking which clown pair to get.

Thanks for the reply Bribo! :) I cant wait to add them , how does your blenny do with the shrimp? I noticed your livestock list has one also listed in your 20 reef. My 29g is basically your 20g but taller , im just having trouble picking which clown pair to get.

No problem! He has never bothered my cleaner shrimp. The only thing he does is "taste" corals. When I first put him in my tank, for maybe the first couple days he would nip corals but has since stopped. I have a 20 tall not long so your tank is 6" longer than mine. Are you talking about the designer clowns or species?

Well honestly when i started the tank clowns were not on my list of wants but of course like many that list has changed many times .... Due to weekly visits to the LFS with my 2yo , he has gotten me into wanting them. Of course the typical "nemo" factor is involved but hes really attracted to the clown tanks over any of the other... And trust me theres been so other great eye catching stuff there so i was surprised to his take to clowns especially at his age.
Anyways, at first i was having a hard time picking which designer style if thats how you would say it but over time im way more interested in the species than if i like the black n white one over the orange.... Of course i have preference to that but is there a species thats better to start with and works better with tank mates than another?

Ive been starting to look into that question recently now that im actually purchasing. I also have learned to just research the types/species i can actually get at my LFS

Saddlebacks seems to be the hardest to keep from my little reading???

I also would like to add that since my prior post i have added 3 turbo snails just to help start cleaning up some of the brown on rocks and glass.... There diatoms? I believe ?? I didnt add right away i waited til the big water change a d let it sit a couple weeks before i unleashed the hungry guys into the tank. I read its good to let the diatoms/brown do there thing before trying to clean up?

Get ocellaris they are the most peaceful. By designer I meant like picassos, snowflakes, platinums, etc. I have one black and one orange one.

You just answered what would have been my next.... I can mix like that? Im guessing has to be same species obviously?

Yep as long as they are the same species they are fine, just get them both at the same time and small.

image-226528646.jpg

Those are mine dancing lol

I love any clowns with black in them... Black with yellow would be very nice ...

Well tonight I did it ... I fell in love instantly with a pair of black/white saddleback clowns. I will post pics tomorrow.

Thank you very much for all the help again from all.... can someone tell me some ideas since I will not be having a anemone anytime soon...I see some using pvc pipe some using pots from plants . I was going to start another thread and see what others use because I couldnt find anything right on about "no anemone and clowns"

Clowns don't need anemones at all. While they do host nems they wil also host just about anything else imaginable. I've even seen a pair host a shell. I really wouldn't worry about it

Thank you me bid... Spent the day watching them , I don't have a ton of rock I'm planning on adding good amount of dry/macro rock hoping it shouldn't trigger a cycle so there will be. A lot more hide spots but til then I have about 20 lbs towards corner of tank making a few caves. I was reading clay pots are good and pieces of PVC elbow too

Very interesting behavior even with just 24 hour in tank they've eaten and swimming around. Taking turns chasing each other
I'm gona try to get some pics with the dslr so I will post pic if anyone has interest

cant really get a picture of them together, they usually don't really hang out side by side, but I have a gold-stripe maroon and a snowflake clown in my 125. it was hellacious getting them to coexist but its been smooth sailing ever since.

It's crazy how much clowns that are new to each other hate one another. Even if I turn on just my blue lights my female clown beats the everliving crap out of my male

Back
Top Bottom