Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Order of adding clowns

Thanks for your time reading my post...Have searched around for a few nights on google and through the forum with no luck in finding info needed.
Anyone have a starry blenny with a pair of clowns? Was just wondering if its better to add the clowns before the blenny or blenny before the pair of clowns?

Been holding back on getting clowns til i can find a pair i love, had to force myself to resist buying the awesome starry just hovering in the water watching/stare at me when i was looking though tanks at LFS.

Jeremy

Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW20VT View Post
Thanks for your time reading my post...Have searched around for a few nights on google and through the forum with no luck in finding info needed.
Anyone have a starry blenny with a pair of clowns? Was just wondering if its better to add the clowns before the blenny or blenny before the pair of clowns?

Been holding back on getting clowns til i can find a pair i love, had to force myself to resist buying the awesome starry just hovering in the water watching/stare at me when i was looking though tanks at LFS.

Jeremy
I have a flametail blenny and my clowns were in my tank for 8 months before I added him. They were immediately friends lol. You shouldn't have an issue either way IMO. I'd do clowns then starry blenny.

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Bribo! I cant wait to add them , how does your blenny do with the shrimp? I noticed your livestock list has one also listed in your 20 reef. My 29g is basically your 20g but taller , im just having trouble picking which clown pair to get.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW20VT View Post
Thanks for the reply Bribo! I cant wait to add them , how does your blenny do with the shrimp? I noticed your livestock list has one also listed in your 20 reef. My 29g is basically your 20g but taller , im just having trouble picking which clown pair to get.
No problem! He has never bothered my cleaner shrimp. The only thing he does is "taste" corals. When I first put him in my tank, for maybe the first couple days he would nip corals but has since stopped. I have a 20 tall not long so your tank is 6" longer than mine. Are you talking about the designer clowns or species?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #5

Well honestly when i started the tank clowns were not on my list of wants but of course like many that list has changed many times .... Due to weekly visits to the LFS with my 2yo , he has gotten me into wanting them. Of course the typical "nemo" factor is involved but hes really attracted to the clown tanks over any of the other... And trust me theres been so other great eye catching stuff there so i was surprised to his take to clowns especially at his age.
Anyways, at first i was having a hard time picking which designer style if thats how you would say it but over time im way more interested in the species than if i like the black n white one over the orange.... Of course i have preference to that but is there a species thats better to start with and works better with tank mates than another?

Ive been starting to look into that question recently now that im actually purchasing. I also have learned to just research the types/species i can actually get at my LFS

Saddlebacks seems to be the hardest to keep from my little reading???
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

I also would like to add that since my prior post i have added 3 turbo snails just to help start cleaning up some of the brown on rocks and glass.... There diatoms? I believe ?? I didnt add right away i waited til the big water change a d let it sit a couple weeks before i unleashed the hungry guys into the tank. I read its good to let the diatoms/brown do there thing before trying to clean up?
Old 10-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Get ocellaris they are the most peaceful. By designer I meant like picassos, snowflakes, platinums, etc. I have one black and one orange one.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

You just answered what would have been my next.... I can mix like that? Im guessing has to be same species obviously?
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yep as long as they are the same species they are fine, just get them both at the same time and small.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-226528646.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	205317

Those are mine dancing lol
Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #10

I love any clowns with black in them... Black with yellow would be very nice ...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com