Ordering fish online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rupp3322

Aquarium Advice Activist
How does anyone feel about ordering fish from online suppliers? As long as you qt before you put them in your display tank it should be fine correct? I am referring to saltwater by the way.

I've order online before from aquacon.com. Their policy - if the fish dies (within set time), they will only replace the fish with your NEXT order requiring same shipping method - they will never refund you the money. I've had to do that 3 times and I just have up.

Liveaquaria.com has been decent thus far, but I have not ordered fish from them :)

I personally prefer to see what I'm getting and only order online when the LFS doesn't have what I want. I'd go for the WYSIWYG on online sites.

Hope that helps.

I have only used online once from VividAquarium. I ordered 4 fish (2 were mated pair), an anemone, and 2 shrimps. All arrived healthy and have since done extremely well. They a have a 15 day guarantee on most livestock.

I use liveaquaria.com bluezooaquatics.com and reefs2go.com which all have been great. I'm about to put some orders in to cherrycorals.com and sexycorals.com soon which ill post a thread when I do

all4wheels2 said:
I personally prefer to see what I'm getting and only order online when the LFS doesn't have what I want. I'd go for the WYSIWYG on online sites.

Hope that helps.

What's the wysi thing?

Great customer service and packaging with bluezooaquatic.. i have made quite a few purchaces sine the minimum for free ship is 140.00. I lost two fish on transit they refunded my money instead of giving me credit towards my next purchase. Unlike aquaconnection which only gives credit. Bluezoo also has 14 day warrenty on both corals and fish..

No problems ordering supplies on live aquaria.com but live stock is a different story. First we ordered a clown fish and a bi color angel. Got the clown fish but they sent us a bi color Blenny. I called them and they were out of stock for te bi color angel. So they sent us another clown fish. We gave the Blenny to our LFS. That clown fish arrived dead and we got our money back. Then they first clownfish dies after 4 days. We decided to try one more time because our LFS couldn't get a fuzzy dwarf lion fish. That fish also arrived dead. So we won't be getting fish from them anymore. But you could have better luck than us :)

I've had very good luck ordering fish online. I have gone through: liveaquaria, aquacon, reefs2go and petsolutions. I found them all to be very good except for aquacon. Their guarantee is only for a credit, not a refund and their corals were horrible. :-( I have had really good luck with ordering fish though thru aquacon so go figure. lol

keep in mind if you are using a credit card to order that the card has protections just in case something goes awry you can always work with the card company if you get screwed over by the seller. Just an in case situation.

I do prefer to buy locally and be able to see the actual fish or coral but with the prices offered online it's hard not to take a chance and in my situation I have been happy 95% of the time pretty much. :-D

carey said:
I've had very good luck ordering fish online. I have gone through: liveaquaria, aquacon, reefs2go and petsolutions. I found them all to be very good except for aquacon. Their guarantee is only for a credit, not a refund and their corals were horrible. :-( I have had really good luck with ordering fish though thru aquacon so go figure. lol

keep in mind if you are using a credit card to order that the card has protections just in case something goes awry you can always work with the card company if you get screwed over by the seller. Just an in case situation.

I do prefer to buy locally and be able to see the actual fish or coral but with the prices offered online it's hard not to take a chance and in my situation I have been happy 95% of the time pretty much. :-D

The prices online are awesome but unless you buy a ton if stuff at one time the shipping doubles the prices.lol

I buy all of my stuff online. Saltwaterfish.com is probably the best site I've used for the money. I bought a blue symphodium off of them after having lost the one I got from liveaquaria. For 1/3 the price i got double the amount of polyps. When I saw it I was in shock.

Recently ordered from saltwaterfish.com and had bad luck, have ordered several times from blue zoo and would recommend them to anyone for sure, saltwaterfish only refunds for DOA not for the 15 days and i notified them of the dead fish yet to even hear back from them besides their automatic email saying they received the request

DFost said:
Recently ordered from saltwaterfish.com and had bad luck, have ordered several times from blue zoo and would recommend them to anyone for sure, saltwaterfish only refunds for DOA not for the 15 days and i notified them of the dead fish yet to even hear back from them besides their automatic email saying they received the request

+1 bluezooaquatics.com is my go to site. After 4 shipments of livestock I have yet to have a problem and you can beat their $140+ = free shipping

True, but I try to order from in state people, then its the cost of me driving the hour to get the same stuff for double the price. lol I spend like $15 plus tolls to get back and forth to my lfs's. I also have a half dozen tanks so it's easy for me to order a bunch at once. :) lol

Online can get you fish that yoru lfs just can;t get or won't get for you. And they almost always have a 14 day guarantee on fish which no one near me can even come close to. It's just a matter of what a person is comfortable with after weighing the pros and cons.

I haven't ordered livestock online and I honestly probably never will. I like to support local whenever possible, because I get endless emails answered from my guy here a couple miles down the road. He always helps me out price wise, if I see something online he matches it plus shipping. He assembled my reef octopus bh1000 free, and if anyone has one, knows the directions are terrible. He also QT's fish for 2-3 weeks before they leave, which is huge. Maybe the price is a little more, but everything is taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom