Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ordering more dry rock... Question :)

Wondering if anyone that has ordered dry rock from marco's rock or reef cleaners has a pic when they received it?

Random i know and i know every rock will weigh different but im looking to add more rock for decorative reasons and also to help with bio filtration once its seeded. Im trying to figure out if 15lb box both resellers offer is enough or should i get 30.
The pictures show a 5lb example and to me looks like a lot for 5 lbs being light and porous compared to what i have for live rock. I currently have about 25 lbs of LR and it wasnt a lot at all

I know seeing someone else's pic isnt a great way to figure out but i can at least get a idea. Basically i dont want to buy the smaller box and get 2 pieces for 15lbs ....

Thank you all for your time with this random request ... Its appreciated

JW20VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the fun thing is when you have a hammer two pieces of live rock can EASILY become 5 or 6 Plus it's good stress relief

If you get really creative with a chisel you can get pieces of somewhat specific sizes as well.

Mebbid's Fishtopia: Various builds
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Take a look at AquaMaxx rock from Marine Depot. I recently got a 25lb box of it, and I really like it. I wanted to add dry rock that was clean, as so not to add any spike of ammonia to my cycled tank. The rock was immaculately clean, and I had NO spike in anything whatsoever.
I heard Marco rock is not very clean, and you can experience some heavy leaching from it if not well cured first, which is why I went with the Aquamaxx. Just be sure to specify what size rocks you want though. I didnt, and ended up with 3 large heavy pieces and a couple smaller extras. I had to break one of the pieces into smaller pieces to use. Lol
What did the fish say when he swam into a wall? "Dam!"
Kimlafeiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
I have pictures in one of my threads of reefcleaners and reefrocks rock. It came perfect, withno issues after adding to an established tank. I just rinsed off the dust and in it went. No spikes or anything.
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I got 15 lbs from john at reef cleaners was about 10 decent size rocks around 6 to 8 inch and some rubble
its the white rock
Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thank you all for the replies ... Took awhile to get back i apologize

Thanks for pointing out the aquamaxx stuff on mdepot.... I have been reitualy on reefcleaners and few other sites making a mental shopping list....read a lot of great stuff about john @ reefcleaners and really been waiting for a good reason to make my first online purchase marine related haha... My only LFS doesn't have a huge rock selection besides the fiji liverock which is what i started with

Sounds like 15lbs is a decent amount and really glad to read about how clean it is because im nervous about causing a cycle or amm. Spike.

Im gona have to go pickup a decent hammer , i feel dumb cause i never thought of that..... Having fam work in hardware store that has a decent selection of hammers is going to yet again pay off with this hobby haha ... Been working on a side project for future 40breeder i want to pickup... Starting a stand for it

JW20VT is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com