Our live rock is hairy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff&Lacey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This just started happening about a week or so ago, our live rock started growing really fine hairs , no color to it...but its ugly. Is this bad? How do we get rid of it?? Thanks in advance!!

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Its sort of like peach fuzz...but longer...I just noticed its on the filter too and thats sort of brownish/greenish.... :roll: We're new to Saltwater and this is the first problem we've encountered so far...We are upgrading our 20 gallon to a 55, just waiting on our live sand to get here, so what should I do? All the live sand and live rock will be going in the 55 ( of course the fish too ), our sand will be here mon/tues so should I even worry about the filter? We wont be using it in the 55 ( obviously )Can I just rinse/pick off the rock??? I would hate to start off the 55 with this nasty stuff.

Once you get your nutrients under control it will vanish on it's own. The links that Mike provided have good info for getting it under control.

Algae needs excess nutrients to feed off of. Mostly it's levels of po4 above .03 ppm that causes algae blooms. No3 plays a small role also but IME only if it's above 20 ppm.

Many yrs ago when I had problems with it I would take a toothbrush and rubberband it to the end of my siphon hose and as I was withdrawing water for my PWC I would gently scrub the rock and loosen the hair algea and it would go up the siphon hose and out the tank. A couple of these and watching your excessive nutrients and a shorter light period should help till you get it under control. Hope all goes well.

Its the same stuff i had on my tank. I had a Diatom bloom. PWC's and some light scrubbing got it out of there. You should be fine within a couple of weeks of maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom