Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Over Night Death

Hello I had a couple of fish that were ill. A pearl scale butterfly fish that I had for two weeks and he got ich probably from being stressed from acclamation, and a clown fish that had some kind of mucus like slim that was on him kind of hanging off (I didnít get I pic of them while they were alive). I went to my local L.F.S. to pick up some meds, and I got a ich treatment and the fish guy recommended pimafix and melafix witch each one treats a fungal or bacterial infection for my clown fish because he was unsure of what might be wrong with it. He told me that it would be safe to mix these two half/half and the ich treatment. so I went home and did my water change which was due and I added a little more salt than usual because it was pretty low and then I added the meds... woke up this morning and the two fish that were no were near death yet were dead.... did I do too much change at once or were the meds not safe mixed together? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First how olds tank second never add salt to a tank that has not been mixed in a bucket for at least at min a hour it will burn the gills...third sounds like yur clown had brooklynella not ick... What are yur water parms ...not to sound rude because I'm not by no means I'm hear to help but have u done any research at all ?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz1988
Hello I had a couple of fish that were ill. A pearl scale butterfly fish that I had for two weeks and he got ich probably from being stressed from acclamation, and a clown fish that had some kind of mucus like slim that was on him kind of hanging off (I didn’t get I pic of them while they were alive). I went to my local L.F.S. to pick up some meds, and I got a ich treatment and the fish guy recommended pimafix and melafix witch each one treats a fungal or bacterial infection for my clown fish because he was unsure of what might be wrong with it. He told me that it would be safe to mix these two half/half and the ich treatment. so I went home and did my water change which was due and I added a little more salt than usual because it was pretty low and then I added the meds... woke up this morning and the two fish that were no were near death yet were dead.... did I do too much change at once or were the meds not safe mixed together? Any help would be appreciated.
Pimafix and melafix dont do anything for Ich, they are for bacterial and fungal infections. To treat ich properly you have to do hypo salinity or use a copper medication. If there is ich in the tank, the only way to fully eradicate it is to remove all the fish and treat them by hypo or copper meds, and run the tank fallow for 4-6 weeks. Ich needs a host, without a host for this time period will allow it to die off. You can boost the fishes immunity to it so they won't get ich, but it will remain in the tank... There's A LOT of info on ich, I'm sorry I don't have the time to discuss it right now!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow I'm really sorry I totally misread your post. Looks like you know everything I said. Sorry for being redundant!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What did you put in for ich treatment? Seems like a lot of meds to go in at once?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

He said he added the meds
Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskerrichard27
He said he added the meds
Yea I know, he said he added them with the ich treatment... What is the ich medication?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can mix pimafix and melafix. Sounds like the fish with the slime would of benefit from that. As far as ICH goes, you would need to treat it with a copper based product OR hyposalinity but NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME or it would kill your fish. How long has your tank been up?

Here is something I read: With both of these medications, they only kill off some bacteria but not all. When added to your main tank, your good bacteria will actually feed off of it resulting in a large bacteria bloom and lowering dissolved oxygen. The fish would start breathing rapidly because the oxygen in the tank is going down resulting in possible death. You would need to increase your oxygen levels and make sure you get lots of water movement towards the top of your tank so to promote good aeration.

IMO, I would use a cheap little QT tank (good to keep on hand) and a cheap filter from Walmart or something minus carbon of course. If you had ich as well, you will need this to house any fish you have for a few weeks if you want to get rid of it in your main tank.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

55g tanks are over abundant and cheap.. Do yourself a favor and get one, trust me itll save you a few times
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

^^^ agrees

Tags
death, eat, night

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com