Over Night Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benz1988

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I had a couple of fish that were ill. A pearl scale butterfly fish that I had for two weeks and he got ich probably from being stressed from acclamation, and a clown fish that had some kind of mucus like slim that was on him kind of hanging off (I didn’t get I pic of them while they were alive). I went to my local L.F.S. to pick up some meds, and I got a ich treatment and the fish guy recommended pimafix and melafix witch each one treats a fungal or bacterial infection for my clown fish because he was unsure of what might be wrong with it. He told me that it would be safe to mix these two half/half and the ich treatment. so I went home and did my water change which was due and I added a little more salt than usual because it was pretty low and then I added the meds... woke up this morning and the two fish that were no were near death yet were dead.... did I do too much change at once or were the meds not safe mixed together? Any help would be appreciated.
:banghead:

First how olds tank second never add salt to a tank that has not been mixed in a bucket for at least at min a hour it will burn the gills...third sounds like yur clown had brooklynella not ick... What are yur water parms ...not to sound rude because I'm not by no means I'm hear to help but have u done any research at all ?

Benz1988 said:
Hello I had a couple of fish that were ill. A pearl scale butterfly fish that I had for two weeks and he got ich probably from being stressed from acclamation, and a clown fish that had some kind of mucus like slim that was on him kind of hanging off (I didn’t get I pic of them while they were alive). I went to my local L.F.S. to pick up some meds, and I got a ich treatment and the fish guy recommended pimafix and melafix witch each one treats a fungal or bacterial infection for my clown fish because he was unsure of what might be wrong with it. He told me that it would be safe to mix these two half/half and the ich treatment. so I went home and did my water change which was due and I added a little more salt than usual because it was pretty low and then I added the meds... woke up this morning and the two fish that were no were near death yet were dead.... did I do too much change at once or were the meds not safe mixed together? Any help would be appreciated.
:banghead:

Pimafix and melafix dont do anything for Ich, they are for bacterial and fungal infections. To treat ich properly you have to do hypo salinity or use a copper medication. If there is ich in the tank, the only way to fully eradicate it is to remove all the fish and treat them by hypo or copper meds, and run the tank fallow for 4-6 weeks. Ich needs a host, without a host for this time period will allow it to die off. You can boost the fishes immunity to it so they won't get ich, but it will remain in the tank... There's A LOT of info on ich, I'm sorry I don't have the time to discuss it right now! :cool:

Wow I'm really sorry I totally misread your post. Looks like you know everything I said. Sorry for being redundant!

What did you put in for ich treatment? Seems like a lot of meds to go in at once?

You can mix pimafix and melafix. Sounds like the fish with the slime would of benefit from that. As far as ICH goes, you would need to treat it with a copper based product OR hyposalinity but NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME or it would kill your fish. How long has your tank been up?

Here is something I read: With both of these medications, they only kill off some bacteria but not all. When added to your main tank, your good bacteria will actually feed off of it resulting in a large bacteria bloom and lowering dissolved oxygen. The fish would start breathing rapidly because the oxygen in the tank is going down resulting in possible death. You would need to increase your oxygen levels and make sure you get lots of water movement towards the top of your tank so to promote good aeration.

IMO, I would use a cheap little QT tank (good to keep on hand) and a cheap filter from Walmart or something minus carbon of course. If you had ich as well, you will need this to house any fish you have for a few weeks if you want to get rid of it in your main tank.

55g tanks are over abundant and cheap.. Do yourself a favor and get one, trust me itll save you a few times

Ty:) ive noticed that preventative measures are easily overlooked or not factored into an initial budget for sw tanks... And after losing every last fish in my 125 because of that.. It something i stress day in and day out to everyone. Yes its a lil extra money ontop of an already relatively expensive hobby, but whats cheaper? A used 55g tank or buying a tankful of new sw fish because your original ones died?? Just for instance i have a 125 dt (warranty replacement for old one), the old 125( sealed back up excessively, not a dt so it doesnt need to be pretty) a 55g, and 2-10g, in the case that something were to happen to my dt, im more than prepared to accomodate my livestock in other tanks. Also i can use the spare 125 and 55 to aquaculture rock or growout caulerpa;)

Back
Top Bottom