Overfeeding perhaps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the grim reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was just wondering if I maybe am overfeeding...my tank was completely cycled added 3 chromis...nitrites still 0 nitrates were8. Checked my water and my nitrites are at .05...I have been feeding frozen mysis shrimp and small amount of flakes for my 2 cleaner shrimp. Nothing else has changed I thought...how often and what do you guys feed?

Thanks Grim

the presence of NO2 may suggest your tank's biological filtration cant keep up with the added bioload. In essence, a "mini-cycle" may be taking place. Any detectable NO2 is toxic to fish and especially inverts. Consider doing a large water change using aged SW to pet parameters back in order. As far as feeding goes...this is a common avenue for NO3 to make its way ito the tank. Over-feeding can also cause a mini-cycle as the tank cant process the decaying food effectively. Light feedings every other day is plenty for most livestock.

lando said:
Consider doing a large water change using aged SW to pet parameters back in order.

I agree this is the first thing to do. Feeding every other day is an excellent idea also.

Thanks Guys....I mixed up some water last night and will to the PWC later on today.....I will definately do the every other day for feeding for sure...

Thanks Grim

the grim reefer said:
Thanks Guys....I mixed up some water last night and will to the PWC later on today.....I will definately do the every other day for feeding for sure...

Sounds like two great ideas to me. One suggestion make sure your PWC water is at least 24-36 hrs pre-made. If not it can be kind of caustic to the fish.

The water will be about 24 hrs old by the time I get it done...I am just worried that the inverts will be okay with the presence of the nitrItes...I dont think my bioload is too much because its just 3 (well now 2) chromis, 20 snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, 10 hermits and a watchman goby in a 56 gal...I added my stuff slowly also..its in a 56 gal

How long do you guys wait before adding another species?

Thanks again

I would say since you have this problem in your tank that killed your chromis in the other post, I would wait till I found the problem there and take care of nitrite problem here before I do anything else. JMO

Oh for sure...had no intentions of adding anymore to the tank for awhile...was just a curious question that I thought of...my chromis I think ended up getting scratched in the rocks when I put them in the tank because that one was totally freaked out and I had drip acclimatized them for 2 hours...he went nuts and I think that he scratched himself and then the stress and all weekened his immunity is what I think happened because when it showed up I was not surprised by it. I checked my tank and here I found some not eaten little shrimps on them so I dont think that this is helping the nitrite problem so when I do the PWC will suck them up and anything else I find....I keep thinking back to "cycling with a dead shrimp" so most likely a micro cycle happening.

Thanks Grim

Back
Top Bottom