Overfiltering possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Good to be back! Just had a quick question, I am setting up a new 38 gallon bowfront, but managed to keep a Cascade 1200 canister that I used to have on a 180 but is still in great shape.

My question is whether there is such a thing as overfiltering a tank. It has adjustable flow, so I can tame the flow rate so as not to blow the fish all over the place, but my though was the media ability would be beneficial even for a smaller tank. $0 is good, so I don't have to buy anything else, and I won't be doing coral, just fish.

So do you guys think this will be OK?

There is a such thing as over filtering, but it is when you strip literally everything from the water column. This is bad, but some systems are designed to do this and then you add them back in at a controlled rate.

So if I reduce the flow to a lower rate, this shouldn't really be a problem with that, do you think?

Hi there in my experience with fish only The stronger the filter The better the water quality =healthier fish it won't strip any of the elements out of the water only certain medias will do that and doing regular water changes will help replenish water quality .Good luck[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom