Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The siphon break is for your return if the power goes out your return will become a siphon and flow back into your sump to my siphon will only drain to the bottom of the screens and will stay primed mine has always restarted itself every time it has lost power you can build this to set at whatever height you want in the water

Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, I get it. I have a check valve on my return line so I don't need a siphon break.

Now I'm wondering if I need 1 1/2 in pipes or maybe just 1 inch since my pump isn't as powerful as yours.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I started with just one pipe but was not getting enough flow out of my tank so I added the second one So you might try it with just one keep in mind you can always put a ball vale in line to slow down the flow if needed
Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool! Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem Im not a expert on it but will try to help anyway I can
Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you explain better the overflow box and pipework more clearly,flow rate from the overflow is governed only by 2 things.
1 return pump flow
2 overflow drain line.
If your overflow cant keep up with your return pump then the overflow box will submerse totally under water because more water flow is being pump up unless its emptying your return section of your sump.
Dont ever put any valves on the drain pipe from your overflow box,this can get blocked easily by algae or crap from the tank.if you want to slow the flow add a valve to the return pump pipework and throttle it down( normally pumps have a valve built in).Be careful doing this though, you need to keep the flow rate going through the box as close to its potential flow rate.this all needs to be considered when adding all this
So tell us what pump gph at what head loss on your system
what overflow box,and drain pipework sizes down to the sump.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

My overflow box is pretty simple. It's just a one gallon pitcher. Used 3/4 in PVC for the bulkhead fitting and drain line. Have 2, 1/2 in vinyl tubing running to it. Each coming from 1 in pipes in the tank.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

any chance of a photo?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here's the photos of my current overflow. In the process of redesigning it. It can't seem to keep up with my pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1356919980.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	38914   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-771768167.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	38915  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4094254328.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	38916  
Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

well for a start you have a pump which pump up to 800 gph and a drain pipe which can only handle 660gph,you need to up grade your drain pipe to at least 1".You also have 2 1/2" hoses which are easily blocked and will cause you problems later,change these to 1" hose or try to buy just the syphon pipe from lets say an eshopps.These overflows also work very well and are quite reasonable to buy.It is imperative that an overflow syphon is built correctly if your going the DIY route,You could even make the u pipe with 1" pvc using long radius bends to help with flow rate.
So
1. the drain pipe must be rated at a higher flow rate then the syphon pipe/pipes
2. The pump after head loss should be rated at a maximum of just below the gph of the syphon pipe( if pipe is 800 gph get pump after headloss pumps 750gph)
3. the pump after headloss minimum gph should be no lower than 85% of the syphon flowrate(if syphon pipe is 800 gph then pump minmum gph is 680)
4. You can put a valve into the return pipe to throttle down the flow but never put one in the drain pipework.

The flowrate going through the syphon pipe needs to be as high as possible so the flow pushes any bubbles through the the other side otherwise an air break will occur and flooding.
hope I've explained this enough for you
David

Tags
flow, overflow, siphon, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com