Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Painting back of tank

I've heard and seen that a lot of people paint the back of their tank either black or blue as it hides all of the equipment outside the tank. I was told that typically it is just spray painted. I want to use black, and I was told to use flat black. I wasn't smart enough to come across this idea until after the tank was setup.

There is plenty enough room between the tank and the wall to apply paint with a roller, but not enough to spray paint it. Is it possible to roll paint onto glass like that, or is spray painting the only way it will work? Is there anything I have to prep the surface with first?

-PapaFishels

Old 01-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I roll all my tanks, esp when they are full. Overspray of paint would not be good for the fish. No prep is required. Keep in mind paint doesn't stick to silicone.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't see why you couldn't roll/brush the back
Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have rolled and can say I would rather spray , the rolled needs to go on in smaller coats and more of them , it chips easier . However since this is a set up tank go to walmart or craft store and get craft paint for around 45 cents 1 bottle is all you need ,and it sticks to the silicone , just remember to move your filter to the front of the tank and add a fan to blow dry the paint wait about 48 hours after the last coat to replace equipment ....The rollers I used came from lowes red handle yellow sponge for about 50 cents ,and a paper plate to place the paint on be sure to protect all surfaces as there will be splatter . If you do get it on clothing use greased lightning to remove , was as normal (greased lightning will also work on carpets and furniture , but use caution on plastics and painted surfaces as it can mar them )
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz View Post
Overspray of paint would not be good for the fish.
I agree with Anne. You dont want to spray while tank has livestock in it. I would roll it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Great, thanks for the replies. I didn't intend to spray it, not only because there is not enough room but also because there is livestock in it.

Any reason to use craft paint instead of normal paint (like Behr)? Maybe it is chipping easier because it is craft paint? Sponge roller as opposed to knap roller?

Thanks again for the help!!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sponge as I find that it "splatters " a bit less than the nap , it is cheaper and they are fairly small about 3 inches long
Craft paint as it is cheaper ,and has absolutely NO smell to it as it is a h20 base I think .. and with birds I dont want a high VOC smell ... I think mine was chiping cause of how thick it was on .... and the cords that rub the corners ....I have sprayed filled tanks but they were sealed and very unplesent to do I only did it once , and never again , now I spray before use LOL
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Craft paint would stick to silicone, regular paint sticks fine to glass. What size tank? I always just use regular paint. I have 13 tanks so whenever I acquire a new one I have extra paint ready to go.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is a 75 gal tank. Since craft paint is water based, do you have problems with it "running" or "bleeding" when it gets wet from tank water?

I think I'll go with regular paint, as the back surface of the tank has no silicone anyway, so no worries about that.

Zags, do you use blue or black? If black, do you use flat black?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have used both blue and black when painting the back of my tanks. I think I like the blue the best though. Black is cool for certain setups but can make things look dark. I used acrylic water based paint and have had no issues with water causing it to run or streak. You may have to do more then one coat to get it nice and even though.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com