Painting back of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommaFishels

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard and seen that a lot of people paint the back of their tank either black or blue as it hides all of the equipment outside the tank. I was told that typically it is just spray painted. I want to use black, and I was told to use flat black. I wasn't smart enough to come across this idea until after the tank was setup.

There is plenty enough room between the tank and the wall to apply paint with a roller, but not enough to spray paint it. Is it possible to roll paint onto glass like that, or is spray painting the only way it will work? Is there anything I have to prep the surface with first?

-PapaFishels

I roll all my tanks, esp when they are full. Overspray of paint would not be good for the fish. No prep is required. Keep in mind paint doesn't stick to silicone.

I have rolled and can say I would rather spray , the rolled needs to go on in smaller coats and more of them , it chips easier . However since this is a set up tank go to walmart or craft store and get craft paint for around 45 cents 1 bottle is all you need ,and it sticks to the silicone , just remember to move your filter to the front of the tank and add a fan to blow dry the paint wait about 48 hours after the last coat to replace equipment ....The rollers I used came from lowes red handle yellow sponge for about 50 cents ,and a paper plate to place the paint on be sure to protect all surfaces as there will be splatter . If you do get it on clothing use greased lightning to remove , was as normal (greased lightning will also work on carpets and furniture , but use caution on plastics and painted surfaces as it can mar them )

Great, thanks for the replies. I didn't intend to spray it, not only because there is not enough room but also because there is livestock in it.

Any reason to use craft paint instead of normal paint (like Behr)? Maybe it is chipping easier because it is craft paint? Sponge roller as opposed to knap roller?

Thanks again for the help!!

Sponge as I find that it "splatters " a bit less than the nap , it is cheaper and they are fairly small about 3 inches long
Craft paint as it is cheaper ,and has absolutely NO smell to it as it is a h20 base I think .. and with birds I dont want a high VOC smell ... I think mine was chiping cause of how thick it was on .... and the cords that rub the corners ....I have sprayed filled tanks but they were sealed and very unplesent to do :( I only did it once , and never again , now I spray before use LOL

Craft paint would stick to silicone, regular paint sticks fine to glass. What size tank? I always just use regular paint. I have 13 tanks so whenever I acquire a new one I have extra paint ready to go. :)

It is a 75 gal tank. Since craft paint is water based, do you have problems with it "running" or "bleeding" when it gets wet from tank water?

I think I'll go with regular paint, as the back surface of the tank has no silicone anyway, so no worries about that.

Zags, do you use blue or black? If black, do you use flat black?

I have used both blue and black when painting the back of my tanks. I think I like the blue the best though. Black is cool for certain setups but can make things look dark. I used acrylic water based paint and have had no issues with water causing it to run or streak. You may have to do more then one coat to get it nice and even though.

I could see on my tank run marks on the back however I could not see it from the vewing pains .... I have too used both black and blue and favor the blue as it seems to give it more depth .... If you want to use black and are not totally sure try some window tint that is applied with water and squeege make sure it is "static cling" type and not glue or you will never get it off ... I have done that as well ... and when I decided to go with blue I just peeled it off .You def will need more than one coat if you use the craft paint you will need 2 perhaps 3 coats

I just painted my tank black recently. Like you I wish I had thought of it when it was empty, but hindsight is 20/20.
I rolled the black paint on with a small roller made for extra smooth surfaces. It took several coats to get good coverage, but it was something I did over several hours.
Paint a coat, watch some football, paint a coat, wish I could stock fish, paint a coat, etc.

I don't know why I didn't think of it beforehand. I used a small roller as well and it turned out great. I put on 3 coats meanwhile making sure my clowns were ok.

I will upload them tonight when I get home. I have taken several pictures but haven' transferred them yet. LOL.

Is it possible or has anyone ever painted the bottom 6 inches or so of the front and side panels so that you don't see the green algae and what-not from the sand bed. I always get the comments about how everything looks so nice and serene except for that green stuff in your sand....

I know some will say it adds to the natural beauty, some like to see the tunnels

I have never seen it done you could get black duct tape and tape it off this way it is not permanate and you are not commited to it . Or get wood strips from your local craft store paint it black and use double stick tape to hold it into place this way you are not commited to any thing if you decide you dont like it

I just put up a 180gal and used black appliance epoxy spray. After 3 coats of that, I put a black background behind that and sealed with some good packing tape. The background might work just as well for you since the tanks is up already and doesn't require much room to do it in.

Back
Top Bottom