Pair of Percula Clownfish suddenly fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdeyburg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had pair of Percula Clownfish that I have raised together since they were babies (about two years now). Over the last few days the dominant fish (the female) has been violently attacking the male. Before the last few days, they have been quite content living together without issue.

History:

About three weeks ago, I moved the tank. I moved the fish by draining the water (after capturing the fish), removing the rocks from the tank, and refilling the tank with the rocks and new water. But the fish was fine until until a few days ago.

So what do you think? Is this typical mating behaviour? Or will the female eventually kill the male?

I need to do something as the male looks worn out.

im not sure about that but i learned that at the most you should only make a 50% water change and try to keep the other 50 if you have to move the tank, i did a hundred percent water change after my fish got ich because i wanted to take the infection out and to move the tank but things didnt look too pretty that night also you are removing all of your good bacteria. i dont mean to sound like a jerk or something like that i just dont want anybody to lose any live stuck i just lost about 300 dollars on live stuck if not more so ill be careful with that

I have done a few 100% water changes without issue (knock on wood). I make sure the temp. and salinity are exactly the same and have had good luck in the past. I don't think that is the issue as the change occurred three weeks ago and the behavior has just changed a few days ago.

Not sure why they would start fighting all the sudden but you can try putting the male in a breeder net for a couple days to give him a break if he is really starting to look like he is hurting. This also still allows for the pair to see each other and the female may get out some of that aggression on the side of the breeder net with out actually getting to the male.

I have done a few 100% water changes without issue (knock on wood). I make sure the temp. and salinity are exactly the same and have had good luck in the past. I don't think that is the issue as the change occurred three weeks ago and the behavior has just changed a few days ago.

thats good i taught the same way cuz ive done it mane times in my fw but it didnt work for me

I personally would not do a 100% PWC. Too much chemistry change and all fresh SW might be too caustic. I would never do more than 50% but that`s just me.

I personally would not do a 100% PWC. Too much chemistry change and all fresh SW might be too caustic. I would never do more than 50% but that`s just me.

+1 i learned that the hard way thanks for the guidance you gave me the other day on my black ich post, i read my post again and i saw that i misunderstood many of them and i wanted to apologize for sounding stupid and being stupis

Nobody is sounding stupid. We are all learning in this hobby and we all make mistakes. Keep asking those questions.

Not sure why they would start fighting all the sudden but you can try putting the male in a breeder net for a couple days to give him a break if he is really starting to look like he is hurting. This also still allows for the pair to see each other and the female may get out some of that aggression on the side of the breeder net with out actually getting to the male.

That is a good idea. I will go out tonight and purchase a net!

+1 i learned that the hard way thanks for the guidance you gave me the other day on my black ich post, i read my post again and i saw that i misunderstood many of them and i wanted to apologize for sounding stupid and being stupis

I would definitely not take my actions as an acceptable way to perform a water change. I may have just gotten lucky in the past. Thanks for your thoughts!

So any ideas as to why they would start fighting? Is this a precursor to spawning?

jdeyburg also what you can do is take one out anp put it in ur qt for a few days and after that ill wait till the lights are off and ill put in back to the dt

Back
Top Bottom