Pajama Cardinal colors fading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emceeee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in San Diego, right on the bay, so it's fit
I have noticed that my Pajama's color are fading. The black band is now grey, and she looks less vibrant than pictures I've seen, and from earlier. She eats pellets in a.m. and mysis in p.m. Is this fading normal, or should I be supplemeting her diet with something else?

Thanks very much!

How many fish do you have in your tank? Have you gotten a new fish lately? When was the last time you did a PWC?

If I remember correctly when I was researching getting one, color fading is not the uncommon depending on the diet and they tend to like low light and are not too friendly.

Maybe someone else can confirm based on actual experience.

This is part of an article that I found in the MARINE FISH & REEF USA magazine I got from PETLAND awhile ago.

"Pajama (aka PJs) cardinals (Sphaemamia nematoptera) are best kept in odd numbered groups of three, five, seven, etc. Solo PJs have been known to waste away over time, and even formerly voracious eaters may stop eating if kept alone."

It also says the same thing that CaptainAhab said except the "they are not to freindly part" and I still have yet to see this happen with my PJs.

Are the colors different right after lights on or all day? I don't know much about them, but they have big eyes, so I would guess they are somewhat nocturnal (but that is just a guess).

If I remember correctly when I was researching getting one, color fading is not the uncommon depending on the diet and they tend to like low light and are not too friendly.

Maybe someone else can confirm based on actual experience.
I have a PJ for `1year now. I had a problem with it feeding when I first got him. I fed him shrimp (the type we eat) chopped it small pieces at night after the lights were off for awhile. That way the other fish were not competing for the food. Their large eyes make them more a night time fish. I normally get up around 2am and that is when I fed him. His color did fade at first, but came back with the night feedings. He now eats anything and everything offered.

Thanks to all who responded. The PJC has a very healthy appetite. I do regular water changes. She doesn't seemed perturbed by the other fish at all. Her color doesn't fade at night. She is eating mysis shrimp every night. Would switching to "people" shrimp really make a difference? It sounds as though the fading might be normal (?)

Thanks very much.

It looks that way. The only other thing I can think of is vitamins. Try soaking the mysis in some selcon or a vitamin like that.

You're good to go.
Happy Reefing
img_992617_0_9e2a934d6623751c676a6b93aa10128d.gif

Back
Top Bottom