Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
IME a regular cheap ph is very weak at pumping water from the bottom of a 32 gal trashcan and a slightly more powerful pump like the Mag 5 or 7 is easiest to move a decent amount of water back to the tank. I prefer to make one batch at a time for 2-3 pwc but of course you could always add water/salt to the trashcan and keep it full.

The Mag pumps come with a threaded end and I got a plastic adapter from Home Depot to screw on the end to fit the 3/4" inside diameter of the 1" tubbing and clamp it with a plastic hose clamp also from HD. (if you go this route make sure to bring the pump into the store so you can make sure the parts fit)

I had done the 5 gal at a time method for many years and it works fine but as I got older it became more difficult and messy for me to do it that way.

With the larger water container and pump to get the water back into the tank the whole pwc takes me around 10 minutes now and is mess free.

I use the Python No Spill Clean 'N Fill to remove the water and drain to my toilet, any hose to drain the water will work though. (I don't vacuum the sand though)

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
IME a regular cheap ph is very weak at pumping water from the bottom of a 32 gal trashcan ...
Good catch on my advice. I was thinking of my personal setup where I use a Rubbermaid tub versus a can. I don't have much head to deal with, but tecwzrd's right... depending on your storage container, don't forget to factor in the head height when considering what pump to buy.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Micah do you know if the mag 9.5 you have would be strong enough to pump water about 50 feet to my tank? (could be up to 60 feet) My tank is on the first floor and I'm thinking about storing my replacement water in the basement.

I'm also considering buying a Hydor Koralia ph. Which would be better for my 55 gallon tank? two 400 gph ph's or one more powerful 850 gph ph? All I have right now for circulation is my cannister filter which is 160 gph.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

The graph shows shutoff at 14'

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...me.asp?CartId=
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The Mag 9.5 can easily pump 800+ GPH if all horizontal, it's a beast of a pump and the head height mostly applies to vertical head not horizontal although you should factor in about 1 vertical head height for every 20 ft horizontal so 50 ft of hose horizontally equals about 3 ft horizontally and then with the 4 ft vertically added you have a total of around 7 ft vertical head height pressure against the pump or about 600 GPH when all is calculated into the equation. (assuming it's on the same floor)

I pump my water 20 ft horizontally and 4 ft up and I still have to throttle back the pressure so I don't blow my tank away.

Having said all that I'm thinking more of in a room far from the tank on the same level but still on the same floor but at least you could keep the trashcan in another room. Either way you will need to coordinate with someone to turn the pump on/of more then likely. I use a long extension cord with on/off capabilities plugged into the pump to toggle the pump on/off which is easy.

If pumping from the basement you would need something more powerful like the Mag 12 or 18 which would give you nearly the same GPH as the 9.5 on the same floor.

I bought mine from www.bestnest.com and was very pleased with the price/service/shipping.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change, partial water change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com