Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Partial Water Change Process

How do I go about preparing the salt water for partial water changes? What kind of container do you suggest to use? Do you prepare the water in advance? 24 hours? Should I own a separate heater to get the temp. the same as in my tank?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hear is how we do them .
I have a bin especially for the water making.
1st place the ammount of water in your bin that you will need place a power head in and mix for 24 hours , on the 24 hour mark add your salt ,mix an addtional 24 hours , check PH, spg and temp to match your system as close as possible . I dont use a heater in ours but that is just me and most will recommend a heater ours is about 1-2 degrees diffrent than the tank.
I also bottle the extra up and place in storage for my weekly changes just drop an air stone or power head in 24 hours before a scheduled H20 change. In an emergency I add an air stone till I get to it (IE if it takes me 15 minutes to set up and change I airate it for 15 minutes its better than nothing at all) please if you have small children or pets make sure they can NOT access the water as they can drown in just a little water HTH

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Making it as easy as possible is going to ensure that you keep a good schedule. IMO pwc of 20% weekly should be done for the first 6 months to keep levels perfect, after that the tank becomes much more stable assuming you don't overstock/overfeed and can be reduced to every other week or even longer.

I have a 55 gal as well and use a 32 gal trashcan dedicated to pwc. I bought a Mag 9.5 pump (Mag 5 pump would work just as well) which I use to mix the SW thoroughly, heat the water (keeps it at 78), and finally use to pump the water back into the tank using 20ft of 1" clear tubing.

I mix 25 gal at a time so I have enough for 2-3 changes ready to go at any time. As Sadielynn mentioned getting your pwc water to match the main tanks ph/sg/temp is most critical and I also add any ca/alk buffers as needed during the mixing as well.

I also always mix my sg slightly higher then the main and add a little FW to reduce the sg to match the main more closely just before adding. Having to adjust by adding salt is more of a pain.

Lastly if you don't have a refractometer for measuring sg then I'd highly recommend one since the swing arm and floating hydrometers are notoriously known for being inaccurate.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have a 32 G bucket with wheels, that I premix my water in. When I do a PWC, I fill up the bucket again, so I always have extra water. It is best to premix it for at least 24 hours.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #5

So this Mag 9.5 pump is considered a power head? And it heats the water as well? How does it work exactly? Does the 1" tubing fit nicely over some output valve?

How do you go about draining the water from your tank during a pwc? Any special equipment you use? Do you then just drain it into 5 gallon buckets?

I have it seems like a million questions.. lol
Old 06-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Blackhores, click on Micah's (tecwzrd) bold links and you can see a pic. The mag heats the water due to the motor. The 1" tube fits on the output of the pump. I use a ph instead of a pump, it is a little bit cheaper. I siphon out the water from my tank into a bucket, take the water out back and dump it in my gravel. Add the new premixed water back to the tank's regular level.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #7

Thanks Roka. Is there a ph that you prefer? And if I made and keep water for 2-3 pwc do i just keep all the water in my 32 gallon trash can?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not exactly sure which ph I use for my pre-mixing (I have phs all over the place). You could go with a Hagen AquaClear Powerheads , I think I am usng the 70 to premix my water.
I keep my water, heater and ph running all the time, as soon as I do a PWC, I just make another batch. You want to keep them running so your pH and temp stay as close to your tank's as possible.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 06-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I guess I do it the old fashion way. I just mix it up in 5 gallon buckets but I do make sure of at least 24-36 hrs before adding to the tank. I`m not as high tech as the other folks. LOL

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd advise just using the same powerhead for your SW mixing that you end up with for your tank. That way you have a spare in case the one(s) in your tank go out. I've got MaxiJets for both.

Tags
change, partial water change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com