Particles shown in the Main tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amador

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Guys...

I am a new bee. Basically I would like to have reef tank. So I wanted to go with FO, FOWLR and then my dream RT

I setup 450 liters (5lx2hx1.5w) Marin tank. I have added dead 3" DSB and some dead rocks and coral, which I presume dead rock may become live after some 5-6 months..

I mixed my water (tap water- filtered) with Red sea salt with salinity 1.022 and PH with 8.0. Its almost a week since the cycling process started.

And also, I have 4ft Sump (Old fresh water system converted into system-sump). I made four partitions.

1st partition 12"inch (Water (main tank to sump). Filled with Floss, bio balls again floss and cyramic rings.
2nd partition 15"inch. placed Protein skimmer
3rd partition 12inh. Added some coral reef sand..say 3inch
4th Partition. 6 inch. Power head (pumps water to main tank).

Now...

After adding salt I noticed there are some small particles (white) shown in the main tank.

While I was observing, I noticed that they are appearing after I switch on my protein skimmer, else wise if I switch off the protein skimmer they are slowly disappearing after 2-3 hours.

I have also added some white floss in the the 4th partition just to break the air bubbles, in case they are but nevertheless they are not air bubbles.

I just wondering how to get rid of this small particles.

Do I need to change anything in the sump or do I need to place the Protein skimmer in the first partition?

Please advise me.

I am online...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

If you mixed the salt in the DT then those are undisolved particules from you saltmix. You don't need to run your skimmer at this time because it is taking out the nitrogen source that is needed for your cycle. What did you use for a nitrogen source. Also you will need some LR to seed the baserock that you have in the tank now. Don't worry to much about your PH at this time as it will be all over the place as your tank cycles. Raise your SG up to ~1.025 as you cycle your tank.
Yes your skimmer should be in your first compartment so it has first crack, so to speak, at you undisolve food particules.
PS: Welcome to AA................

Thank you for prompt response.

yes, they are not micro bubbles. I am wondering they are appearing after I power on the Protein skimmer.

Normally after the skimmer it tends to be mirco bubbles.

I am wondering I still can see...

As mentioned earlier I noticed that after powering on the protein Skim it increases. But I had the skimmer off for two days and I could very less nos.

Please find the attached pic and I hope you can add bit more.

Does it makes any sense that go back and change 80% of the water.

Attachments

• Particles.JPG
    Particles.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 173
Back
Top Bottom