Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Patience.......................

After more than a year of reading, research, asking question and gathering stuff (Built a house in that time too)I am finally ready to get things going. In my family room sits a brand new 72g BF with a matching stand, a CSL Moonlight fixture 4x65 with 2 10,000 daylight and 2 50/50 actinics, versa-top glass top, a seaclone 100 skimmer( I know, I know) 2 maxi-jet 900's , 2 visi-therm 100wt sub heaters, enough IO salt mix for 200g, 200 lbs of southdown sand, sea-chem basic marine test kit, deep six hydro, 35g rubbermaid trash barrel for mixing H2O, and a few other assorted small goodies. I have a 10g I will be using as a q-tank with a marineland PF, 20watt no + 100 watt heater. In route is 60lbs of base rock(hirocks.com) and I'll be ordering 20lbs of LR on Tuesday (needs to arrive on Thursday) I am going to pick up 2 additional PH's and heater's over the weekend for the H20 mixing bucket and LR curing tub. I am also considering an aquaclear 500 or emperor 400 to assist with bio. and mech. filtration untill the LR is mature. It would also give me a place for Chemical filtration (carbon). I wanted to do a sump but the cash reserves are a little low after the holidays and it's not in the cards right now. It will however happen down the road a piece(pobably my 29g with a mag 9.5). Water will be from a well, not city. Unfortunatly not RO either. That too must wait. the set up will be FOWLR to start although I really don't expect to have a fish untill some time in March at the earliest,(any problem running the tank "fishless" for an extended period of time?) and would eventually like to add some low light corals. Thanks for reading this slightly lengthy post, I really needed to "share".

Mike

Old 01-14-2004, 05:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

That sounds great!! I hope you will share pics as it goes up

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

ah.. patients.. I forgot about that.. good luck! I would love to set up (another) new system in my place.. I just had a swimming pool built in my backyard.. about 12k G- I wonder how many heaters I would need to get it up to 80 in the winter?? how much LR would I need? Forget about flying to hawaii to snorkle!! I would be divorced in a heartbeat
50lbs LR
2" cc on 3/4 plenum
3" sugar aragonite in fuge with hair algae
20w white NO in fuge
65w pc 50/50 (2 bulbs)
20w actinit 2 damsels
1 TR clown
shrooms and zoos
h2o quality is solid 0's. 80 d.
sacramentofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know what you mean, I suggested to the wife we build in a 6'x6' tank that would sit on the basement floor and go up through all three floors with the stairways wrapping around it but, she didn't think that was such a great idea for some reason???

mike
Old 01-14-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know what you mean, I suggested to the wife we build in a 6'x6' tank that would sit on the basement floor and go up through all three floors with the stairways wrapping around it but, she didn't think that was such a great idea for some reason???

mike
Old 01-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
but if it was 3 floors high how would u get to the bottom. but that would look vary cool. but the fish not like haveing all the traffic by the tank
Old 01-14-2004, 11:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
You could cure the live rock in your tank. If your wife does not mind a little stink.
LOL

Good luck Dewey
Old 01-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to r95rdstr Send a message via MSN to r95rdstr Send a message via Yahoo to r95rdstr
If you plan on adding a sump/fuge at some point, it would be better to do it now if you plan on using an internal overflow. If you're comfortable with a HOB overflow, then no worries down the road.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com