PBT not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melellaquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new powder blue tang, and i have had him for about a day. He is in a 25 gallon quarantine tank and is swimming around. He seems quite healthy but he will not eat a thing. I have read that they are finicky eaters and since he is new i am not panicking yet. How can i get him to eat and when should i start panicking? :confused:

First of all what are you trying to feed him? You might want to think about soaking the food in garlic. It`s supposed to be a feeding stimulant. Try feeding mysis shrimp to him.

BTW Welcome to AA

First of all what are you trying to feed him? You might want to think about soaking the food in garlic. It`s supposed to be a feeding stimulant. Try feeding mysis shrimp to him.

BTW Welcome to AA

So far i have put green algae on a clip in his tank but he seems to be afraid of it, staying away from it. I have also tried to feed him formula two pellets and various flakes soaked in garlic. I will be getting some red algae today, and i will also pick up some mysis shrimp. What else should i try? I am going to make some new garlic soaked food, should i soak the algae too?

It's only been a day. IMO.. go away and leave him alone. Let him settle in.

You have any hiding places in there for him? Some PVC couplings?

The ole boy has just been kidnapped for the umteenth time.

Just the idle ramblings of a distraught Philly Phan :)

It's only been a day. IMO.. go away and leave him alone. Let him settle in.

You have any hiding places in there for him? Some PVC couplings?

The ole boy has just been kidnapped for the umteenth time.

Just the idle ramblings of a distraught Philly Phan :)

Thats true haha, thats what i thought but pbt's are notorious picky eaters, so ill just let him settle. i gave him a large tube to go in and some fake corals to hide behind but i wanted to give him lots of swimming room since tangs like swimming space. Thanks for the help though, i will definelty try feeding him new things once he is calmed down. I know this is off topic but (i dont feel like making a new thread) i also have a lemon butterflyfish and for about 2 months his mouth has been acting weird.There used to be red lines coming from it but they disappeared. Now his lips a a little swollen and red. He eats like a champ and is active but his mouth looks strange. All the diseases i looked up on mouth funguses say that they usually kil the fish in a matter of days, so i know its none of them. Any ideas? Ive had him for almost 6 months.

it took my tangs about a week to start eating algae sheets. But I was able to get them eating mysis shrimp soaked in garlic by the 2nd day.

my friend had a hippo tang that did the same thing,he placed clips around the tank(High enough to remove) and each had a diff veggie (Romaine,spinach,broccoli,red and green alage strips)and placed a cucumber slice on the bottom.plus he fed mysis w/garlic and now eating like a champ on both mysis and veggies.just remember to remove the old veggies and you will start to notice which your tang likes the most..I also seen the live red seaweed work as well..

Sighh he still wont eat. Ive tried mysis soaked in garlic, romaine lettuce, green and red algae sheets and various flakes and pellets. I'll tryall the different veggies but i was kinnda hoping on the mysis shrimp =[.

The "red" seaweed is called "Ogo" and can be found in the Asian section of most supermarkets. Tangs go crazy for it. It's their natual food source. Also makes good eats.
img_996230_0_6e8a36ff3b56541e2430791b9a77078c.jpg

Did you see him eat at your LFS?do you have anything in your QT for hiding.Maybe its looking for security and relaxation first before food.

Thats what i am thinking. I think he might have eaten some of the lettuce becase when i took it out it had some holes in it but it just couldve ripped. I am gong to try the live red seaweed IF i can find it. I hope he calms down soon, I'd hate to see him starve to death:(

Did you freeze the lettuce before you put it in the tank. This helps to wilt the lettuce and make it easier for the fisht to eat it.

Hey, did you ever get your PBT eating? I just got one 2 days ago, and he's a little slow at eating, too. I saw him grazing as soon as I put him in the tank, but I haven't seen him graze since. I figure I'll give him some time before I try to intervene.

I dont know about that stuff but I grow grape calerpa in my fuge and harvest it for my tangs.

will that seaweed grow in your tank? odd question, but that would be cool to grow it in the fuge and harvest it. does it grow?
Yes, ogo will grow in a tank situation, it does not grow as fast as caulepa (sp), and needs a tank that does not go over 80 degrees, caulepa is illegal in many ocean fronting states.

hmm. i'm going to look for that stuff in my asian mart. Could use a new variety of algae growing in the fuge. Tangs don't eat caluerpa or chaeto.

Back
Top Bottom