Peaceful tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurandavid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok please dont send me to view compatibility charts , I have them and have studied them.

I am looking for already established peaceful tanks and what variety people have in them , I am looking for a nice color variety with peaceful fish. It seems everyone owns a clown, I am looking for something different. My LFS carries the basics, clowns, yellow tangs, yellow tail damsels, no inverts, he will order anything in , however I dont want to go with his suggestions I am looking for suggestion from this forum . I do realize I will be adding them slowly.

My tank is a 55 gallon.

Pair of clowns, gobies, blennies, consider a kole tang (your tank is to small IMO for others like the yellow, or hippos, etc), firefish, anthias, chromis. Gonna have to mail order inverts I guess - it's an OK thing with the guarantees they offer for alive shipments.

Stay away from damsels. They are the meanest little fish in a lot of folk's experiences. Some meaner than others, but still a mean little thing that can cause problems.

Here's my peaceful little community in a 46g bowfront...

1x O. Clown
1x Bangaii Cardinal
3x Blue/Green Chromis
1x Yellow Clown Goby (still in QT)

1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Peppermint Shrimp

Everybody gets along for the most part. The clown will chase the chromis for a nanosecond just to get them out of it's "territory" (which it thinks is the whole tank, I think!) The chromis will chase each other, and in the beginning the big one would nip at the smaller ones. But now that they're all a little bigger, that's more or less stopped. The Bangaii and Clownfish are best buds - they often hang out together.

One thing I've noticed though is to watch the temperament of the fish at the LFS before you buy. Some just seem to be bullies. I've always chosen the quieter looking fish - not timid or sick looking, but not the hyper one either.

Good luck!

65 gal...

2 x O. Clowns - tank bred
1 x Blue neon goby - tank bred
1 x Royal Grammas
1 x Cleaner - Skunk - Shrimp

Still to add..
3 x Green Chromis
2 x Bangaii Cardinal - tank bred

Lots of comibnations out there. Lots of fish I realy liked. I went w/ smaller fish to make the tank look more full and active.

Clowns are popular because..
Easy to find
Hardy
Can find tank bred most of the time makeing them even more hardy
Affordable
Colorfull
Clowns - no pun intendted. My clowns are all over the place, acting like they want to host anything and everything and will even take food directly from me.

the link that Roka provided is where I started my research for what fish I wanted. I have recommended it friends and they found it most helpful

Here is a link to a database that you can do a search for fish that fit different tank sizes, temperaments etc. You might get some ideas playing around with it too.

It seems like you are getting some good ideas. You can see what is in my peaceful community by clicking on view my tank in my sig.

Wow, great information, I have been looking at all of your suggestions and some of the fish you all have , very nice color combinations and variety!!!!!!!! I have been to the fosters and smith site many times in the past , I was looking for people that acutally had tanks and what they chose so you were all a great resource . Thank you!!

My peaceful tank includes so far

2x mated ocellaris clowns
1x spotted watchman goby
1x bicolor pseudochromis
1x bubble tip anemone

No aggression problems ever.

Ok what about the spotted cardinal fish? All the information I read indicates they are peaceful , I think they are very unusual looking. I read another post that says they are "boring" however if it hangs out and doesnt hide that doesnt seem boring to me. Anyone have one of these fish?

I don't have the spotted one, but have a Bangaii. While they're not the most energetic fish like chromis, I think they're beautiful and add a nice variety to the tank. It doesn't hide, but it does stay toward the back corner of the tank during the day. But if someone comes up to the tank, it will come up and check things out. It's definitely not as shy as I'd thought it was going to be. I think just because it doesn't swim around fast, people classify them as "boring."

The ones I see at my LFS don't seem to swim much and hang out in one area.

If you get a clownfish you should look into some of the morphed types like Onyx, Snowflake, or Picasso. They're very unique!

clownodd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom