Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to laurandavid
Peaceful tank

Ok please dont send me to view compatibility charts , I have them and have studied them.

I am looking for already established peaceful tanks and what variety people have in them , I am looking for a nice color variety with peaceful fish. It seems everyone owns a clown, I am looking for something different. My LFS carries the basics, clowns, yellow tangs, yellow tail damsels, no inverts, he will order anything in , however I dont want to go with his suggestions I am looking for suggestion from this forum . I do realize I will be adding them slowly.

My tank is a 55 gallon.

laurandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Pair of clowns, gobies, blennies, consider a kole tang (your tank is to small IMO for others like the yellow, or hippos, etc), firefish, anthias, chromis. Gonna have to mail order inverts I guess - it's an OK thing with the guarantees they offer for alive shipments.

Stay away from damsels. They are the meanest little fish in a lot of folk's experiences. Some meaner than others, but still a mean little thing that can cause problems.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, take a look at http://www.liveaquaria.com/ and some other online stores, see what interests you and then we can help.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's my peaceful little community in a 46g bowfront...

1x O. Clown
1x Bangaii Cardinal
3x Blue/Green Chromis
1x Yellow Clown Goby (still in QT)

1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1x Peppermint Shrimp

Everybody gets along for the most part. The clown will chase the chromis for a nanosecond just to get them out of it's "territory" (which it thinks is the whole tank, I think!) The chromis will chase each other, and in the beginning the big one would nip at the smaller ones. But now that they're all a little bigger, that's more or less stopped. The Bangaii and Clownfish are best buds - they often hang out together.

One thing I've noticed though is to watch the temperament of the fish at the LFS before you buy. Some just seem to be bullies. I've always chosen the quieter looking fish - not timid or sick looking, but not the hyper one either.

Good luck!
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
65 gal...

2 x O. Clowns - tank bred
1 x Blue neon goby - tank bred
1 x Royal Grammas
1 x Cleaner - Skunk - Shrimp

Still to add..
3 x Green Chromis
2 x Bangaii Cardinal - tank bred

Lots of comibnations out there. Lots of fish I realy liked. I went w/ smaller fish to make the tank look more full and active.

Clowns are popular because..
Easy to find
Can find tank bred most of the time makeing them even more hardy
Clowns - no pun intendted. My clowns are all over the place, acting like they want to host anything and everything and will even take food directly from me.

the link that Roka provided is where I started my research for what fish I wanted. I have recommended it friends and they found it most helpful
madhatter208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Here is a link to a database that you can do a search for fish that fit different tank sizes, temperaments etc. You might get some ideas playing around with it too.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
It seems like you are getting some good ideas. You can see what is in my peaceful community by clicking on view my tank in my sig.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to laurandavid
Wow, great information, I have been looking at all of your suggestions and some of the fish you all have , very nice color combinations and variety!!!!!!!! I have been to the fosters and smith site many times in the past , I was looking for people that acutally had tanks and what they chose so you were all a great resource . Thank you!!
55 gallon sw fowlr

10 gallon fw , housing my 6 year old red cap oranda, LUMPY!!
laurandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
What type of clowns are you guys talking about?? Ocellaris?
55 gallon, FOWLR, 70 pds of live rock, live sand, HOB Emperor 400, protein skimmer, 2 maxi jet 1200. T5 lighting, 1 snowflake eel, 1 spotted cardinal, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 foxface one spot, 1 female percula, 1 anemone, snails, crabs,
saywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie
My peaceful tank includes so far

2x mated ocellaris clowns
1x spotted watchman goby
1x bicolor pseudochromis
1x bubble tip anemone

No aggression problems ever.

AKSE is offline   Reply With Quote

peaceful, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com