Peculiar Yellow Wrasse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andira23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, here is my first post as I am a total newbie to the SW world

I've had my FOWLR 29 gal tank for about 3 months now.
Inhabitants are:
1 - Fire Shrimp
1 - 3 stripe damsel
1 - Maroon Clown
1 - Panther Grouper (Yes I know he'll grow BIG but I want to keep him until he grows a little. His personality is totally cool)

Yesterday I added a yellow wrasse to the mix from my LFS. I don't have a QT because I'm still new, but I did make sure that the wrasse had been at the store for about 2 weeks and that he ate before I took him. He looks perfect as well - no signs of distress at all.

I acclimated him to my tank and when I let him loose he instantly burried himself into the sandy substrate. I knew this was normal. This morning he came out to play. No one bugs him but he only hangs out at the very top of the tank. He swims about very much but will never go more than 2 inches below the surface. Any ideas whats up?

My water stats are:
ph 8.0
salinity 1.022
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
temp 75

First off Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

A couple off issues I see right off the top. Your temp is rather low for these types of animals. Over the next week or so very slowly raise that up to about 78-80°. It will make a difference. The saiinity is also on the lower side but if just fish you could get away with that. Since you have inverts, I would strongly recommend raising the salinity to 35 ppt (1.025 SG). Only raise it 0.001 each day though. Too quickly on either change will stress the animals..

A ph of 8.0 is unto itself not that bad but if tested later in the day is a bit low. When testing ph it's a good idea to test midway through the tanks photoperiod to get an accurate average. You can also check it in the AM before the lights come on, midday and just before the lights go off to guage how the ph raises through out the day in reaction to increased O2 production from algaes.

Understandabley you are aware of the implications with large fish in a small tank, so we'll set that aside but the wrasse may also be feeling a bit cramped. Wrasses are increadibley active fish and really do not fair well in smaller environments. Could also be "first day" jitters. Are the other fish showing any form of aggression?

Cheers
Steve

Thank you very much!!!

I love this site!

I was wondering if some of my specs were off... When I measured my ph, it was on its lower end of the cycle.

No aggression with the other fish.... my maroon clown I have had the longest and he started having some "clownish" behavior but all in all everyone else is cool.

thanks again

andira23 said:
I was wondering if some of my specs were off... When I measured my ph, it was on its lower end of the cycle.
How is the water flow and do you have a good surface water aggitation. Most times ph issues can be solved without chem additions. Check for proper water flow, ensure the tank top is not sealed to allow proper gas exchange and possibley open a window in the same room to allow ambient CO2 to escape. I would also check the alk if you have the test kit.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom