Penguin 330 Bio-wheel story-sad :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterTeen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is a pretty long story. Today I entered my first period class (Science) my teacher owns a 55gal with a crp bakpack and penguin 330 bio-wheel well he had the folowing inhabitants in his tank:

-Juvenile emporer (the one I used to have)
-Flame Angel (the one I used to have)
-2 percula clowns
-2 blue reef chromisis
-1 batfish

when I walked in the class I noticed his batfish (Fairly big, $35 fish) was in the penguin 330 inlet, so I told him, and we went to the tank to check it out, the fish was like most of the way in there, and when teach came over to look at him the fish fell down and he floated to the bottom, his body was folded in half basically and he gave two twitches and my teach thought he was fine, so he said he'll leave the batfish in there for a few mins to see if he would be fine, but 15mins later he was in his ol' position so my teacher just flipped it into the trash (I would atleast flush the fish and give it respect) teach was pretty mad/upset but he is a nice guy so he just talked like he was ashamed (You know hiding his anger since he is nice) so I told him to take a fairly sized foam block and cut it into a piece that would fit over the intake, but he said he wouldnt be able to get out of school for a moment so I said for him to just turn it off and tonight get a piece of foam that would fir over the penguins intake, and cut a slit and widen it so it will fit snug to the intake. So I went on with the day (I didnt see him turn off the filter :( ) I decided to come after school to see how everything was going so I entered and I asked him how the tank was doing and he said it wasnt doing too well, I saw that he had unplugged the penguin and took it apart. So I asked him if he unplugged it after 1st period was over and he said no (btw, I told him in the morning that if he didnt turn off the filter there was bound to be doom) so I asked him what was wrong and he walked over there and I went with him and like I thought and told teach there was bound to be doom so I saw that one of the percs got into the filter too :( poor guy, this was the saddest part, the other perc was rubbing his side of his face on the dead clown seeing if his buddy was alright, it was so sad and depressing I went away from the tank and I shed tears :( it was one of the most saddest things I have ever seen that poor clowns buddy is dead :( :( it was just so depressing, so when I was done shedding the tears teach grabed the dead perc and just tossed him in the can (I thought that doing that was disrespectful and I definately did not enjoy it) after what had happend I really got upset and thought to myself that I know alot more than my teach, and was also p***ed me off was that he did not listen to what I had to say, my advice was what needed to be done for the filter, so my teach said that he doesnt want the penguin 330 so he said he will give it to me or thow it away, so I decided to take it and add my foam fish and invert protector on it because I had a block ad fitted the pieces on to my ph so I took it and I will use it on my 55 until I get the money to buy the glass aquarium (Ive already got everything else for a tank except the lighting and the sand) so when I get $20 or so I will get a 10gal and add my sixline to it and a perc and 2 cleaners and I will make it a fowlr and when my 55 becomes a reef in a few years I will make my 10 gal fowlr and make it a nano :) I need to buy another filter pad for the penguin and some ac into the baskett and the bio will be all set :) Thank you for understanding and reading this story. I hope next time I give valuable info that he will take it instead of ignoring.

Now my teach has no filter, I am worried if his tank will survive on just the cpr skimmer, but the skimmer doesnt have the bio filter in it, teach tossed it. :(

Haha, huge run-on sentence. LOL. Does the tank have any LR in it? I was told that with enough LR (Biological Filtration) that you would not need a mechanical filtration.

I think the question was; does your teachers tank have any LR? What type of substrate? I can't believe the intake on a 330 would cause that. I think his fish are dying and ending up there. The flow rate on a 330 isn't that strong as to suck a fish in it. I still have 1 FW tank and it's 20 G standard with a 330 on it. In there are 1/4" neon tetras with o problems at all. It sounds to me like the tank hasn't cycled properly. Have water tests been done?

And for the record Luntiz you are close but not entirely right. Both mechanical and biological filtration is needed but how it is provided is the relevance here. With enough LR yes biological filtration is provided and no manufactured filtration is required. Mechanical filtration is that of actually removing waste from the water, in this case the CPR bakpak is the mechanical filtration. Without LR or other form of biological filtration this tan appears to be doomed. Another filter won't help at this point as their will be no bacteria colony on the media.

It sounds to me like this tank needs help fast.

My tank doesnt, no my teachs tank doesnt have any lr its just a fo, with a cpr skimmer, that is it I dont think his fish will be fine :?

Since he gave me his filter. his tank has been a very bad mess, the other percula died, and the flame angel died, and the emporer is strugling to stay alive, he is breathing in and out hard and he has lost alot of his color, I knew that his tank will suffer by takin his bio wheel, but he wouldve thrown it away if I didnt take it, his fish are dieing faster without the filter 8O Poor lil fish! and bad teacher!

Back
Top Bottom