Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Peppermint Shrimp

I have had my tank since February. I have a circulation pump. My filter is a Marineland Penguin filter that came with the aquarium kit. Water is from LFS, pure. Water temp is set at 82 degrees. My chromis lived from March to September. Cleaner shrimp seems fine. I have lost the one chromis and the pepermint shrimp (lived about a month), the emerald crab and a starfish lived several days. I have found their bodies in the tank. They were being munched on. Tank now contains two damsels, one cardinal, one clown, one chromis and one dotty..all are small, about 3/4 to an inch. Also have a cleaner shrimp and several hermit crabs.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check for any drastic swings. Like tank temp from day to night, salinity from evaporation, ph swings, any large swings will cause stress on fish and even more on inverts. What kind of starfish was it and did you make sure your peppermints got enough food. Sometimes there isn't enough there to scavenge and keep them alive. They are quite shy normally so they aren't aggressive feeders.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

repost?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd maybe get yourself a test kit so you can check what your actual parameters are
Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is not a big deal, but the temperature is a tad high. somewhere from 72-79 is good, rather than 82
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My peppermint was quite an agressive eater, however, I'm starting to think a newer aquarium should wait for at least a year to add inverts? I worry my starfish did starve. But then, my nitrates keep going up and I'm afraid to feed too much! How do you hit the "happy medium" of fish and inverts all getting enough to eat without raising your nitrate level? The starfish was a red thorny.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Jean View Post
My peppermint was quite an agressive eater, however, I'm starting to think a newer aquarium should wait for at least a year to add inverts? I worry my starfish did starve. But then, my nitrates keep going up and I'm afraid to feed too much! How do you hit the "happy medium" of fish and inverts all getting enough to eat without raising your nitrate level? The starfish was a red thorny.
depending on the species of inverts you're referring to, you may or may not have to wait for a year. starfish and anemone for example, do require a pristine condition and lots of micro and macro fauna in the tank to stay alive. you can however direct feed the starfish and anemone with clams or market shrimps. you can have your whole tank going on a fast for 2days to start off and some water change. i think your problem with the inverts dying one by one is some other cause that you're not aware or have no control over of.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

for starfish, place a piece of clam or shrimp underneath it to keep it nourished. some of the starfish will take pellets as well if you place the pellets accordingly.

Tags
die, died, pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com