Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy Peppermint Shrimp Died :(

I'm new to saltwater fish only (live rock). In the past two months, I lost an emerald crab, green chromis and now my peppermint shrimp died. My water tests normal salinity at 1.021...what am I doing wrong? Not overpopulated..in the 30 gallon tank I also have several hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, and six one inch fish.

Thanks for any advice you may have. Claudia

Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you have the parameters for the tank? pH, amonia, nitrate, nitrite? alk and mag can come later but not important for the moment. did you cycle the tank properly? what are the 6 1inch fish you're referring to? with that many deaths, it would be logical to think that maybe your tank is still cycling. a picture of your tank would be nice to start

Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did you add any supplements to your tank recently? If so what types? What type of lighting do you have?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Jean View Post
I'm new to saltwater fish only (live rock). In the past two months, I lost an emerald crab, green chromis and now my peppermint shrimp died. My water tests normal salinity at 1.021...what am I doing wrong? Not overpopulated..in the 30 gallon tank I also have several hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, and six one inch fish.

Thanks for any advice you may have. Claudia
I started my tank in February. I had water checked at LFS two weeks ago..all fine. Today, all fine except slightly high phosphate and nitrate level was a little high. During the past two weeks I had added a strawberry dottyback..others in tank include a green chromis, a clownfish, a pajama cardinal, the dotty, and two damsels. LFS tells me water is not bad enough to kill fish or inverts. They advise I am feeding too much. I feed frozen in the morning and some flakes at night.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datreeferman View Post
Did you add any supplements to your tank recently? If so what types? What type of lighting do you have?
I supplement a drop of iodine for the cleaner shrimp once a week.

Lighting is what came with the aquarium kit.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates being high can be harder on inverts. You salinity is low as well, which inverts don't like. I'd raise it to 1.025.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

You might also need stronger lighting
Old 10-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting won't hurt the shrimp. Are you sure the pepermint and emerals are dead, and it wasn't just their molts?
BTW, you might be overstocked for that tank as the fish grow. That is a heavy bioload, especially with 2 damsels (are they evil Yellow Tail Damsels).
Again, although the high nitrate and low salinity might not be enough to kill the inverts, together they might be.
On the other hand, my 2 YT Damsels killed my first pep shrimp I suspect. They were given away for free to some other unsuspecting sucker.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #9

Yes, they were dead, not molting. Several days before the pep died, she was hanging around the heater.

My damsels are the yellow tail and a black bar. Black bar is harmless, yellow tail can get bossy, but I didn't notice her attacking peppy.

I am doing water changes for nitrate level, only feeding once per day (rather than my usual twice), and will raise salinity.

Thanks all for the advice.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

how long has the tank been running? do you have power heads adjitating the water? did you use tap water when setting the tank up and what is the temp in the tank? also how long are the creatures surviving in the tank? and would also say tank sounds a little overstocked depending on filtration so what filtration do you have? sory for all the questions but may help give better idea to what is happening in your tank. also have you found the creatures dead as would have though hermits and cleaners would have started eating anything that was dead in the tank

Tags
die, died, pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com