Percula Clown Color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesd28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have noticed that my percula clownfish has been changing in color on the upper half of his body. Rather than being all orange like he was when I first got him, it now looks like there is black mixing in with his orange. From what I have been told, this is normal. Just want to make sure that the black on my clown is in fact normal looking and not some type of illness, etc.

Also, I was told that this process happens when the clown's black stripes thicken and that eventually the excess black will convert back to orange, leaving only the stripes that are black....this correct, or should I expect my clown to stay black?

The first picture is what he looked like when I first got him and the rest are the best I could do with my camera in getting shots of the blackness that I am talking about.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 106
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 75
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 104
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 91
True oercs have more black in them to begin with in comparison to oscellaris. My b&w clowns are still actually kinda orange in some spots. LOL

expect the black to spread even more as they mature. :)

Back
Top Bottom