Periwinkles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any good for a reef tank? Would they do a decent job?

I see them on Ebay and they offer like 300 for $35 and I wanted to know if they were any good. I see some people have caught them wild and put them in, but I didn't know if anybody had any experience with them.

I was going to get some for my 125G Reef. Right now I have 8 large Turbo's that are doing decent, but I know I need more. Smaller one's would be good that can get where those monster snails cannot get.

I have had good luck with the mud welk before, but they just don't seem to live as long as you would hope and after moving from a 75 to the 125, it seems that not one single small mud welk survived, where everything else in the tank survived the whole move, coral and all.

I was mainly asking about the type of snail itself. I was actually going to see if they has a 75-150 snail package. I just have no experience with and can't find much on these snails except that they eat lots of algae.

Those look like they live on the Sea Shore line to eat up whatever Algae lives on the rocks outside of the Sea. That's why they can stay out of the water for quite awhile... I would be cautions on adding them. There is a lot of Bad Bacteria that's on the Oceans Shorelines

periwinkle snails good?

Now that my tank is cycled and really starting to look good, I'd like to introduce some snails- partially for cleanup, partially for my spiny box puffer to snack on. I plan on setting up a refugium to provide a constant supply.
My question is- what kind of snail is best? I'm looking at some periwinkles on eBay. They are advertised as eating hair algae and I don't have a lot of that in my tank. But overall I'm most concerned about whatever snails I get eating the gorgeous growth on the LR. I'm getting some purples, yellows, pinks...all good stuff that I don't want to see eaten!
Any thoughts?

Yeah, I read that and it wasn't much help. I'll try elsewhere, thanks.

I merged the duplicate posts.
I think you might want to look into nassirius snails, they may last longer, are great sand stirrers. They will stay under the sand, for the most part and make the puffer work for them....

Back
Top Bottom