Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I like the idea of not using a cannister filter, as it simplifies maintenance. But now I'm worrying about adequate water flow. In our 36-gal tank, the return from the Fluval 204 provides significant current to supplement the two PH's.

Wonder whether 3 PH's and a skimmer would provide enough flow in the new 65-gal tank without a cannister filter. Maybe if I go without one I'd need one of those Hydor Koralia in-tank pumps.

I'm finding this discussion very illuminating. Appreciate all feedback.

bpeitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
get one of the wavemaker/swivel PHs. do the "standard" 2 up top and put a swivel say halfway down in center of the tank. another thing is if you add a skimmer it will create current like a mini PH (depending on its size and gph) or if you add a refugium your output into the tank will add some as well

flip_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Still trying to finalize my list for this 65-gal tall tank (36w x 18d x 23h) upgrade (delayed by work etc).

Figuring on ordering 3x30lb bags = 90 lb of aragonite sand, e.g. Aragamax. According to the sandbed calculator, this will give me a 2.2" bed.

At this point I'm figuring on using two of the MaxiJet 1200 PH's and one Hydor Koralia 1 (400gph) circulation pump which I'll locate in the center ~ 1/3 up from bottom. Concern here is too fast water turnover. I've read that 4x/hr is optimal, but this pump, their smallest, is rated 400gph. According to that rule of thumb I should have one ~ 260gph. However it may be that actual flow rate is maybe 3/4 of quoted rate, so this Koralia 1 might close to what I need.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

bpeitzke is offline   Reply With Quote

cap, eat, eater, fowlr, heater, skimmer, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com