Ph issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Up until now I've had no PH problems - its been staying fairly stable around 8.2-8.4. I've been doing bi weekly water changes, about 10-20% every two weeks. I tested my water this AM and found the PH to be between 8.4-8.8 on my chart - hard to tell for sure since its such a wide range, but it definatly was a lot more purple. I tested my QT tank, it was a definate 8.2 ( although the lighting times are different on that tank)

Ammonia was 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate about 10-15ppm. Temp at 78 degrees. Source water was about 7.8 before adding salt. I know PH fluctuates, but I didnt expect it to be quite that high. Current residents seem to be doing ok, though I noticed the one clown wasnt as interested in food - the other ate fine.

I do only have one power head running at the moment - i'm getting another here, this weekend ( as well as a emperor 400 filter running) - could the problem be too little circulation O2 exchange?

Any ideas on why the PH is so high.. and how I can safely bring it down?
You think you have a handle on things then something happens heh - You're always learning in this hobby for sure ;)

thanks for the help

Make sure to tackle the cause. phUp and phDown products are likely to give you more trouble than relief.

Agreed.. I put in 1/4 the dosage required to raise it up .5 it went from 5.8 to 7.2 just like that. lol it doesnt work to well. a few guys reccommended to me crushed corral or drift wood.

Your salt mix and water changes should regulate pH unless you're adding something or something is being consumed. Drift wood drives down pH, crushed coral is a buffer. Argonite sand buffers just like crushed coral, but is compatible with more types of critters.

Are we all reading the same post? I believe the OP wants to know why his pH is high in his saltwater tank.

Did either of you read the article I linked to? 1/2 dosages? driftwood in a saltwater tank?
crushed coral is a buffer. Argonite sand buffers just like crushed coral
Maybe in the low pH of a freshwater tank, but it does not buffer anything in a saltwater tank. FWIW, aragonite (CaCO3) only starts to slowly dissolve at a pH of about 7.5 and lower.

I've heard others report that argonite sand did have a stablizing effect in saltwater. It can't hurt to have extra buffer around if you start messing with pH additives to fix high or low pH.

Checking the pH of the new saltwater and areation levels would be my first stop. I made the assumption your article covered both of those when I answered as I did.

I agree that driftwood in saltwater isn't a great idea, I was pointing out that it makes the pH drop, but does not buffer to a particular pH.

cccapt's link pretty much covers the possiblities...

Water changes will do the trick. Assuming your new salt water is OK. Have you tested the pH of the salt water you've got stored?

I tested my stored water, again about 8.8, I had it covered with a PH going. I'm guessing my problem may be not enough airation? From what I understand from that link, airation will help lower it? I'll test it again when I get home. My QT tank was normal at about 8.2, but I am guessing i have more airation in the tank, which is why its normal...

My PH usually stays very stable around 8.2 - which is why this bright purple on my test this am seemed odd.

I dont want to add any additives as previous posts stated, just find the cause and correct it ;)

thanks for the help!

I tested my stored water, again about 8.8, I had it covered with a PH going. I'm guessing my problem may be not enough airation?

Not sure. Seems like a single PH in a storage tub should be fine. I assume you're getting a good surface ripple in the tub? Are you using tap/well water, or is this RO/DI.?

Are you using any additives at all like a 2-part ca/alk solution, or PurpleUp, or kalkwasser?

Using tap ( I know! ) saving up for an RO/DI - and a must before I get corals ( which is a long ways away yet). I tested the source water before mixing the water several days ago ( I test it to make sure ammonia/nitrates etc arnt high..which thankfully everything has been ok - no problems w/ algae etc ) and it was about 7.8 - the range is quite vairable on my test kit, maybe the source of my supposed ' high' ph.. ( saltwater master test kit.. api I believe.. liquid)

It was defiantly a more purple color ( towards the 8.8 range on my test kit) than the water in my QT which registered @ 8.2. Very odd, Ill have to test it again today and see what it is at.\

No additives ever used

edit after getting home: PH in main is down to 8.2 again. Odd. I havent tested the stored water again, but extra airation ( or maybe went down on its own?) helped. Thanks for the info though!

Ph normally increases over the course of the photoperiod, as photosynthesis turns CO2 into O2. Are you running a reverse photoperiod in your refugium?

Running normal 11 hour photoperiod from about 10am-9pm. Issue for now seems to be resolved in the main aquarium. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom